• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Kick-out and step flashing R905.2.8.3

Your links are to a location on your personal computer. The links must be to a web hosted address.
What links! I didn't find any links! Even if I find them, I guess they don't work! I appreciate pictures! Provide a link and I will make it a picture.

THIS WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED BY USER "ROBERT F" BUT HE HAD AN ERROR HE WANTED TO CORRECT. HE COULD NOT EDIT IT, SO PER HIS REQUEST, I DELETED HIS POST AND REPOSTED IT FOR HIM.

Glenn, the home office called, their gonna need a TPS repost report an affidavit!:eek:

What links! I didn't find any links! Even if I find them, I guess they don't work! I appreciate pictures! Provide a link and I will make it a picture.
He edited his post and deleted them. See the following screen shot from the post of mine that you replied to. Link address is local to his computer.

upload_2020-7-7_11-31-38.png

Good afternoon everyone,
I am still in a discussion concerning the lack of "Kick Out Flashing" after a roof replacement project in our townhome community made up of 29 buildings and 156 owners. Today I took a risk and took photos of my neighbor's garage roof overhang where it butts against my vertical wall siding on my garage. The pictures are of the same area but I do not see anything close to "Kick Out Flashing." I see the "J Moulding", gutter guards, and maybe felt paper? I would appreciate any comments to help me understand what I see.
Thanks,
Bo
Your links are to a location on your personal computer. The links must be to a web hosted address.

https://www.dropbox.com/h?preview=590+Mock2.jpeg

https://www.dropbox.com/h?preview=590+Mock1.jpeg

Looking at the picture takes me back to a time when I was installing siding and trim. We fabricated a diverter shingle. The function of a diverter shingle is not to protect a window but merely to keep water from getting behind the siding where the wall and roof meet at the edge of the roof. The damage in the picture was the result of a poor design. Placing a window where it takes a roof flow is asking for trouble.
Agree, but not a code violation. The diverter flashing isn't specifically designed to protect a window, rather it is to help prevent the water from running down any surface, instead diverting it to a gutter, or at least away from the building.

Appears to be no flashing between the roof and the wall. The kick out flashing should be there as well, but is not explicitly required. The missing step flashing at the roof-to-wall transition would be my primary concern.

R903.2 Flashing
Flashings shall be
installed in a manner that prevents moisture from entering the wall and roof through joints in copings, through moisture permeable materials and at intersections with parapet walls and other penetrations through the roof plane.

R903.2.1 Locations
Flashings shall be installed at wall and roof intersections, wherever there is a change in roof slope or direction and around roof openings. A flashing shall be installed to divert the water away from where the eave of a sloped roof intersects a vertical sidewall. Where flashing is of metal, the metal shall be corrosion resistant with a thickness of not less than 0.019 inch (0.5 mm) (No. 26 galvanized sheet).
Step flashing should be installed as shown in the following image.

I see what may be the edge of a step shingle but there does not appear to be a counter-flashing. The white PVC channel is something that should not be there.

Upon closer examination, I doubt that I am seeing the edge of a step shingle.

How about a picture from a distance?

50091059078_64c763648d_k.jpg

Last edited:
I see what may be the edge of a step shingle but there does not appear to be a counter-flashing. The white PVC channel is something that should not be there.

Upon closer examination, I doubt that I am seeing the edge of a step shingle.

The white piece is the vinyl J channel....It has to be there...Really tough to tell without siding removal. I would argue that the kickout flashing is required by the section Ty posted or this one...
R703.4 Flashing. Approved corrosion-resistant flashing shall
be applied shingle-fashion in a manner to prevent entry of
water into the wall cavity or penetration of water to the building
structural framing components. Self-adhered membranes
used as flashing shall comply with AAMA 711. Fluid-applied
membranes used as flashing in exterior walls shall comply
with AAMA 714. The flashing shall extend to the surface of
the exterior wall finish.