• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Kiss your Certs Goodbye.

Re: Kiss your Certs Goodbye.

Thanks UB.

Just a few days ago I received the spring course catalog for my local county college.

I checked it out for anything new and found a whole page of green courses including BPI certifications. $1900 for the first 10 day course and $ 1200 for the second 5 day course.

I am seriously considering jumping into these, Thanks again for all the Info.

Looked at the BPI website and did a search for contractors within 200 miles of my house. Found 6, One (an HVAC) in town who I would not hire to heat my dogs house and the next one 143 miles away in Washington.

Hold on to your wallets people! For 99.95 you can get the cert! However, it is not in paper form, but it is truly green. It will be inscribed on you thinking part and you will have to show a little check on request. :mrgreen:

Will taking the course(s) give you a protocol to inspect from? It's one thing to be inspecting a new building with the green rater providing sheets on the plans, you just follow the plans, it's another for these little $6,500 "cash for caulkers" jobs, I don't even know what they are going to be doing short of pumping caulking all over the place. In our county the county is doing it, keeping inspectors working by supervising, buying vans, blower doors, infra red cameras, and hiring entry level people to do the work, but what about areas that are allowing the money to go to private contractors? In the past insulation has always been taken over by con-men with high pressure salesmen, I'm sure the same is going to occur here, 90% of the money is going to go to the contractors and salesmen leaving a mess behind. I know Silva by the way, one of his first jobs 27 years ago was daily inspections on a home I was building, we were pouring piers for months, some 40' deep to support an elevated swimming pool. Can you imagine that, an inspector still working 27 years later and not drawing his pension yet?

Government Weatherization Program:

A population control method. Seal'em up; move'em out ------- feet first.

Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob:

It seems like someone here posted a link to stimulus boondoggles yesterday, I can't find it here, do you recall the large PDF file?

all the "green" stuff should be written into the IBC and IRC... for those of us previously certified.. take the ICC test on "green"...

We have a couple of BPI certified people.. one of whom just inherited a boat load of money and is retiring this year..

Just like being a LEED AP.. not necessarily a code enforcement issue... I don't need to know how to conduct a blower door test... I may need to know how to interpret the results of one..