• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Kitchen located on upper floor

rsotty

It has been proposed to place a kitchen on the 7th floor of the building. Where would the grease interceptor be located? Cannot be located near the kitchen due to maintenance access restrictions. Best guess is it has to go in the truck dock with the kitchen having a separate plumbing stack to the interceptor.

Can go wherever is practical. The FOG laden drain piping running that far can be a concern, so having adequate (extra) cleanouts would be important. Although, depending on how much FOGs the kitchen produces, a hydromechanical unit or two installed under the sinks may work better.

In an accessible location in the ceiling space of the 6th floor, more or less directly below the kitchen.

In an accessible location in the ceiling space of the 6th floor, more or less directly below the kitchen.
I don't think I've ever seen one serviceable from below. Is your thought that the accessible location is for replacement only, with the regular access for cleaning being through ports in the floor/top of the unit?

I don’t know. I’m thinking the receptor is actually going to take up space in the floor below, maybe just build a closet around it to separate it from the rest of the tenants space. Would it hang from the restaurant floor, or need supports under it?

I’m just replying to the OP who proposed placing it in the loading dock, 7 floors away. I think it needs to be as close as possible to the kitchen.