• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Kitchen Remodel

NEPAGC

Here is a situation that I have heard two viewpoints. 50+ year old home with studded walls. Kitchen plaster is to be removed and drywalled. If the studs are only 3 1/2" is R-21 still required in exterior walls. The kitchen is not large and size is limited. The way that I interpreted is that R-13 would be sufficient in this scenario because there is no structural alterations and additional studding would not be needed. Another is to fur the walls out for 21. Once again size is limited and losing 6" in the room will be noticed. There is currently no insulation in the existing wall cavities. I have talked with two different code officials in passing and both stated that 13 would be allowed. What is your take??

Any answers you get from us would be based on the policies/interpretations of our local jurisdictions. Here, I would not only allow it, but welcome it as an vast improvement over what was originally there... (nothing vs. R-13). I think a reasonable interpretation of 101.4.3 is that the exterior walls are existing, and not altered. The interior finish, while being removed/replaced, would require appropriate insulation to be installed such that the thermal envelope insulation is not REDUCED. What you are suggesting is a vast improvement, and SHOULD be considered compliant by your AHJ. But, who knows? Talk to whomever actually is the decision-maker for a definitive answer.

2009 IECC 101.4.3 Exception 3 as stated by VP is what I would use...fill it with insulation...you could require R-15 high density, IMO.

jar546 said:
We require R15 in these situations.No reason to pack out the studs but use the best available R value for batt insulation which is R15.
i agree with butthead or is it beavis?:mrgreen: