• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Kitchen Venting in Commercial Kitchen in NJ

sbsnj

Hello! Maybe someone in NJ can give me a bit of insight into this issue (Specifically this is in Haddon Twp in Camden County, I know code varies from township to township but maybe someone is familiar). I am retrofitting a commercial space and all we are adding cooking equipment-wise is a double commercial oven on a 220 line. What not one contractor can tell me definitively is if this requires a hood at all (most say they don't "think" it does, one said probably only a Type II would be required is anything). I don't want to commit to this project if we start and then find out into it or at inspection that we needed to put in a really expensive hood system.

I have called the Fire Code Inspector and the Twp offices multiple times with no response or call back on what would be required.

Does anyone have experience in NJ with what is required in general or across the board or even better (although unlikey) in Haddon Twp? It's frustrating not being able to get answers even directly from the office that inspects for proper code.

Thank you to anyone that can help with this.

Welcome welcome

How did you find us?

What is your specialty ??? What do you make

507.2.1 Type I hoods. Type I hoods shall be installed where cooking appliances produce grease or smoke. Type I hoods shall be installed over medium-duty, heavy-duty and extra-heavy-duty cooking appliances. Type I hoods shall be installed over light-duty cooking appliances that produce grease or smoke.

This is the State code I found as well but apparently each township has different requirements as well. A lot of installers and contractors are insisting since it is dry heat and gas is not used, a hood is not required. I have called and emailed several different people at the township in the building office as well as the fire code office and inspector with no response. No one answers the phones, responds to voice mails or answers emails so its' a bit frustrating. Thank you for your help.

Thanks. I have tried to contact several people in the office by phone and email with no reply. I will try Bonnie as well.

sbsnj said:
Thanks. I have tried to contact several people in the office by phone and email with no reply. I will try Bonnie as well.
Nice

Great customer service

My call is type II hood

How many ovens and how big??

Hate to say it may have to pay a visit in person and sometimes that is better thing to do

I was thinking the same thing (needing to figure out a time to go in person and of course their hours are WONDERFUL! hah) My gut tells me Type II as well despite what others are saying. One oven, double stack, 11 kw per unit so max 22 kw if both in use simultaneously. Approximately 3'3'x6'.

I believe if it is required I need make-up air as well which is not fun to figure in either considering this is a space with no exterior walls unless you go through other rooms and it is on the first floor of a two-story building. I gutted my house and now residential code but reading through the requirements for commercial are killing me. Especially since no one gives consistent information or nay information at all. It's funny how many people are available to do a job until you say they need to be licensed and insured and can't get you proper info :)

cda said:
NiceGreat customer service

My call is type II hood

How many ovens and how big??

Hate to say it may have to pay a visit in person and sometimes that is better thing to do

Rick18071 said:
If it realy is a commercal oven it would not be allowed in residental.
¿Que?

He is a professional baker trying to add an oven to a commercial building

Rick18071 said:
If it realy is a commercal oven it would not be allowed in residental.
It's not going into a residential space - it is a commercial space, I was just saying I have navigated the codes for residential requirements and trying to get answers for commercial is proving to be much more difficult.

I think that is offsite so the building code office is open M-F until 4:30 I think and they are closed always between 12-1 for lunch. I finally got a hold of a very friendly admin and apparently one of the guys is out until Monday so that may be the problem.

Frank said:
Looking at their website it appears to be a part time department-- inspections are only on Mondays and Wednesdays in the mornings.http://www.haddontwp.com/?page_id=117