• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Korean BBQ "hood"

klarenbeek

Silver Member
Has anyone ever run into one of these? Definitely doesn't meet the requirements of an unlisted type I hood and I'm not seeing anywhere where it is listed to UL 710. Not sure where the fire suppression would even go!

Attachments

• A-Manual-KHood-100.pdf
    553.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 1682459245453.png
    1682459245453.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
Yeah, doesn't look like it would have a sprinkler. Probably imported from China. No US listing - not approved.

It is not listed to UL 710. It is listed to UL 1889 ( Commercial Filters for Cooking Oil) by NSF which is an approved NRTL.

I went to a similar restaurant. They had no hood. They appeared to have an exhaust system around the perimeter of the grille to a large duct underneath. This wasn't in my jurisdiction - I was just curious how places like this met code.

PXL_20230316_180014857.jpg

I Just got some more documentation and believe it or not these are listed to UL 710 if used in conjunction with one of two different appliances they were designed for. At least they were doing their research ahead of time instead of putting it in and hoping for the best!
I'm going to forward what I have on to the fire inspector so he has an idea what he's getting into for fire suppression.

I called the company shown on the first attachment that you provided. I asked if the hood is listed. The person said that the grease filters are listed. I asked which NRTL listed the filters and he said NSF. He then volluntered that there is no UL710 listing. I had not mentioned UL710. He said that some cities accept the NSF listing and some require the UL710.

Found at the OSHA NRTL site: UL 1889 ( Commercial Filters for Cooking Oil) is a standard that NSF is approved to evaluate products to.

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 9.45.11 AM.png

Here's the documentation I received regarding the listing.
That is a listing report. I am surprised that the manufacturer has allowed the report to be disseminated in such a fashion. This report does not appear to match the hood from your original post.

Note that there are but two cookers allowed with this hood. That seems odd as one would think that if it works with these two cookers .... why not others?

That is a listing report. I am surprised that the manufacturer has allowed the report to be disseminated in such a fashion. This report does not appear to match the hood from your original post.

Note that there are but two cookers allowed with this hood. That seems odd as one would think that if it works with these two cookers .... why not others?
You're right, thanks for the catch!

At first I thought it was the same hood just rebranded as a Samsung but if you look close they do look different. I did catch that the one in the report can only be used with two different appliances. They appear to be grills made by the same manufacturer as the hood.