• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Kraft face batt insulation in non-combustible construction

architect629

I was always under the impression that kraft faced batt insulation was not allowed in IBC type I & II buildings, per IBC section 720.2. Most of the insulation manufacturers product data says as much. I'm doing a tenant fit-out in a newish (+/- 4 year old) type IIB office building. The space we're fitting out is raw, so there's no drywall on the exterior walls. R-19 kraft faced batts were installed in exterior walls, and I expressed concern about this to the landlord. I'm being told by the building's architect that it met code at the time of construction (2015 IBC). Section 720.2 is exactly the same in the 2015 version of the code as it is in the current 2021 version. Am I missing something or this defintely not allowed?

720.2 Concealed Installation

Insulating materials, where concealed as installed in buildings of any type of construction, shall have a flame spread index of not more than 25 and a smoke-developed index of not more than 450.

720.2.1 Facings​

Where such materials are installed in concealed spaces in buildings of Type III, IV or V construction, the flame spread and smoke-developed limitations do not apply to facings, coverings, and layers of reflective foil insulation that are installed behind and in substantial contact with the unexposed surface of the ceiling, wall or floor finish.

I believe you are correct: Kraft-faced batts are not allowed in types I and II construction. (Unless the Kraft facing magically has a flame spread index of less than 25.)