• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Laminated glass instead of tempered in exterior doors of commercial building

joetheinspector

Is laminated glass allowed by code where safety glazing is required. Such as exterior doors of commercial buildikngs

If it meet the test.........I don't see why laminated would not, it it is good enough for car windshields, I would think it meets the tests.

2406.2 Impact test. Where required by other sections of this
code, glazing shall be tested in accordance with CPSC 16
CFR Part 1201. Glazing shall comply with the test criteria for
Category II, unless otherwise indicated in Table 2406.2(1).

If it meet the test.........I don't see why laminated would not, it it is good enough for car windshields, I would think it meets the tests.

2406.2 Impact test. Where required by other sections of this
code, glazing shall be tested in accordance with CPSC 16
CFR Part 1201. Glazing shall comply with the test criteria for
Category II, unless otherwise indicated in Table 2406.2(1).
I agree
Safety glazing material, usually tempered glass or laminated glass, reduces the risk of injury. This is accomplished in the case of tempered by the characteristic break pattern-many small pieces, and by the adhesion of the glass pieces to the inner plastic layer in the case of laminated glass.