• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Landing at top of ramp

jar546

Forum Coordinator
When is it possible to have a ramp where the landing is inside a vestibule? In other words, at the top of the ramp there is an automatic door. I can only see this as possible with a automatic sliding door. How do you view this for a landing?

Re: Landing at top of ramp

ANSI 117.1 Section 405.7. Take a look at it. I don't see any way not to have a landing at the top of a ramp.

No exceptions for an automatic door.

docgj

I'd say no because of the possibility of a door malfunction.

Jeff,

They're all right. No can do.

The landing needs to exist in front of the doors and at the top of the ramp. You can't have the landing on the inside, beyond the doors. Even without a power failure, what about the person who arrives at opening time and has to wait for the clerk to activate the automatic doors?

I agree with the others and I'll add that I don't see how you could comply with IBC (2009) 1008.1.5 without the landing.

jar546 said:
When is it possible to have a ramp where the landing is inside a vestibule?
Whenever the ramp and bottom landing are also within the vestibule, or whenever the vestibule is unenclosed.

brudgers said:
jar546 said:
Whenever the ramp and bottom landing are also within the vestibule, or whenever the vestibule is unenclosed.

Yes, unenclosed without a door. Thank you.

I see no other way around this particular situation except for adding a landing at the top of the ramp.

brudgers said:
jar546 said:

I though they called an unenclosed vestibule an "alcove." :lol:

A landing is required at the top and bottom of all ramps. Section 1010.6

A landing or floor is required on each side of a door. Section 1008.1.4. Such floor or landing shall be at the same elevation on each side of the door.