• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Landings at non-means-of-egress door

Code Neophyte

Silver Member
I'm certain this one has been bludgeoned to death on this board and the now-defunct board: The situation is a 'B' occupancy adjacent to a 'U' occupancy within the same building (the U is more or less a private garage / maintenance garage accessory to the 'B'). The garage floor is around 6" below the finished floor of the 'B' area. At the point of elevation change, there is a double-leaf door that swings over the elevation drop, and would clearly not be permitted if this were a means-of-egress door; however, neither space requires the use of this door as an exit, so.........the age-old question: Does the requirement apply for an "other-than-means-of-egress" door? (Don't throw things at me - I'm not asking about a stair to an attic or anything!!)

Is it new, existing? If existing what code was it built under? A little more info may be helpful. Todays code it would have to be an exterior door from "Groups F, H, R-2, R-3, S and U at exterior doors not required to be accessible by Chapter 11".

Section 1008.1: "Doors provided for egress purposes in numbers greater than required by this code shall meet the requirements of this section." I typically consider a door an egress door if someone in the building can use it for egress, whether it was intended to be or not. Therefore, in my opinion, the requirements for landings per Section 1008.1.6 is applicable.

C Neo, I just referenced that thread five minutes ago! LMAO

The only problem I have with Ron's position is that this is not a 'door provided for egress', hence I would not interpret it that way. Will the U be accessed by employees (H/C req's)? Is a landing out of the question? What Code section says it's not allowed?

Sorry - I neglected to say that this is a new building. JBI, I think the accessibility issue is valid. Of course, they haven't left enough space for a properly sloped ramp. This is one of those frustrating things in the code where it can be convincingly argued that a door can be permitted to swing over a step. Means of egress or not, it seems very unwise from a liability standpoint.

I have had similar conversations with Code Congress on this and their take is all doors are means of egress. In the 2006 IBC Section 1008.1.4 Exceptions #2 may be used for exterior doors such as from electrical rooms and storage rooms that open to the outside. The step would be allowed for U.

Just because you have EXIT Signs over doors and provide other doors without exit signs is no guarantee that everyone is going to use only the doors with EXIT signs. You have no control over which doors people will use. Especially if they already know that the other doors allow egress to other directions or locations.

mtlogcabin said:
I believe you need a landing on both sides of this door see 1008.1.6 Landings at doors.
I agree, I do not see any way around the landing requirement either, however, it may not be required to be an accessible means of egress. If it is not accessible, then it should be posted as not being such, and direct occupants to the nearest accessible means of egress.

I thought that means of egress weren't allowed to pass through garages. A landing projecting that far into a garage would be a tripping hazard. Could the door be reswung into the B use?

It appears that maybe a 'U' classification may not be appropriate. Garages used for maintainence purposes would very likely fall under a 'S-1' classification. The other issue that seems to need addressing is the issue of accessibility. All parts of a structure, with a few exceptions, need to be accessible. The code also states that is the accessible route of travel for able bodied persons is within the building, that the accessible route of travel for persons of disability also must be within the building.