• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Large operating video screen safety?

JPohling

Sawhorse
California job location. I am interested in determining what code required safety features would be required for a large 15'x 25' video screen to be able to move up and down thru a stage platform. It will recess down into the stage and the service/staging area will be below the stage. The equipment manufacturer is not in the US but have installed in the US. They are proposing sliding gate barriers and laser beams and pressure pads to ensure that no one can be near the device when it is in motion. They have requested that we explore the local requirements and codes to see if what they are providing is adequate. I have found some hoisting and rigging requirements in Cal OSHA 1926.753, but this is more for cranes. Who has jurisdiction over these types of devices when it pertains to safety and operation?

So when its out of use it is recessed below the floor and you can walk over it? Sounds similar to a sidewalk service elevator.

Would this be an OSHA issue, once occupancy is issued? It sounds like it would be a pinch point or caught between hazard - possibly there are rules for heavy machinery that would apply. I worked in a cabinet shop that had multiple CNC router tables that were protected either by laser trip wires, or pressure pads that would shut the machine off if you got too close.

Strange four feet still exposed.

So in relation to the audience, will this be at the front of the stage, mid point, or back??

I am thinking when in motion, should not be a problem, more than likely travel speed is not that fast.

Seems more of a trip hazard, when retracted.

What kind of business is this, as in why is the stage there?????????

this is at the back of a stage and drops down to unveil something that the audience needs to be able to see at certain events. I believe OSHA would be involved, just cannot see where they have guidelines or requirements for this type of moving device.

this is at the back of a stage and drops down to unveil something that the audience needs to be able to see at certain events. I believe OSHA would be involved, just cannot see where they have guidelines or requirements for this type of moving device.

I am thinking only trip hazard, if in closed position, it projects up.

Think about the screens that drop down, no special provisions, and a person could walk into one of those as it lowers.

Plus being at the back of the stage, there should not be much traffic while raising it, plus more than likley it will be in the up position, if it is going to be used sometime during the whatever.

If you aren't worried about a pinch point hazard because of the slow speed it retracts, or a trip hazard since it's gonna be taller than most counter space, what are you worried about? Unless you are worried about someone accidentally kicking it and breaking it?

How is this different from a large video screen.

Treat it the same way you would treat something on a theater stage.

I would make sure the equipment was anchored for seismic forces.

last I heard the building department does not enforce OSHA regulations.

I am just trying to understand what entity may have some safety concerns and where they are spelled out. The video screen will move up and down while there are people on the stage. the slot that the screen travels thru will have a solid guard a minimum of 42" tall. and also lasers etc to determine if the path is clear.

There are trap doors and lifts built into stages, we done put guard rails around them during the perormance

NRTL Listing?
Here is the response I received.
"Good morning. Our LinkLifts are TUV certified which is a European cert. We don’t have an equivalent in the US. NRTL is electrical, and our panel will be UL certified."

Here is the response I received.
"Good morning. Our LinkLifts are TUV certified which is a European cert. We don’t have an equivalent in the US. NRTL is electrical, and our panel will be UL certified."
is it wired to US voltage?

Going back to the manufacturer to see what NRTL has listed the electrical. In the past when we have had projects where the equipment/machinery was coming from Europe or China and did not have a NRTL listing the AHJ would require that the equipment/machinery was either not on site for inspections or be listed in the field by a NRTL. This was usually only an issue if the device was going to be hardwired. If a plug in then they were not concerned.

This is a huge mechanical lift that will require footings and lateral support, etc. I do not see how this can be installed after inspection and would prefer that it not be done in that manner. Still trying to wrap my head around the safety aspects of the device and whom has any jurisdiction in the matter.

It is a piece of equipment

like lighting, speakers, risers

The lawyers have ahj, when someone trips over it.

Cannot ahj everything, if not in the code book, not enforceable

Other than the structural/electrical aspects the only concern I see would be operational, as in a trip hazard for/during partial erection.
This would appear to be no different then an openable pit, raiseable platform or other stage equipment.