• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Large walk-in cooler storing flammable liquids

JCD3

Really got into a complicated issue with a new 40,000 sf warehouse storing IB & IC flammable liquids and exceeds MAQ's so have a part of the building classified H-3. Initially it was thought that no flammable products would be in this huge 10,000 sf cooler but apparently there will be plenty in there so now it's a part of the H use. We've worked most of the code issues out for this however the last thing is ventilation. There are min ventilation requirements but apparently there is no exemption for coolers. How is it possible then? Emergency ventilation with alarm? The liquids do not produce any hazardous fumes or gases but, again, no exemptions found.. or at least none I could see.

I was bored so I went on the hunt for ya. The rabbit hole took me to the ifc. I’m not versed well enough in hazard classifications, but I found something in the ifc stating natural ventilation that is deemed acceptable? By whom I do not know… and like I said, I’m a newbie in the insp world… so I dunno if that even helps. It killed the last 30 min of my shift though. Better than more studying! Good luck

Thanks, I do appreciate it. I've done the same as well with this stuff.. blame the ADD