• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Larger openings in fire wall

Yikes

Gold Member
I have two assembly buildings on the same property that are connected/separated by a firewall at the narrowest point, for the purposes of making one side type 5 and the other side Type 2 construction. In plan view, picture an hourglass, with the firewall at the pinch point.

This connection is 16' wide and 20' long corridor, and per CBC/IBC 706.8, that means we can only have a 4' wide rated door at the firewall. My client wants an 8' pair of rated doors, plus sidelights.

Do you think I could propose making the firewall construction effectively longer, perhaps 32' long, even though the actual corridor point-of-connection is still only 16' long, so I can get my pair of 8' doors?

Sounds like you need to go with your idea and get the fire wall stretcher out.

Guess add to the fire wall and you meet the technical part of the code in order to have more width

Last edited by a moderator:
cda said:
Sounds like you need to go with your idea and get the fire wall stretcher out.Guess add to the fire wall and you meet the technical part of the code in order to have more width
CDa is right, you need to go with your idea and get the fire wall stretcher out.

alanmurfee said:
CDa is right, you need to go with your idea and get the fire wall stretcher out.
So, the two buildings could be open to each other as long has the firewall that is outside of the buildings is long enough?

cda said:
No just wrap it inside
Trying to wrap my head around that design. If the hourglass throat is only 16', how do you get a 8' opening in this firewall?

keep going inside the building till you get """"""Do you think I could propose making the firewall construction effectively longer, perhaps 32' long"""""""

may cause a little problem to do, but you get more doors out of it.

just like some people like to wrap sitting rooms in a rated corridor, same concept just keep adding wall. Also, kind of like a fire wall through an entire building, sometimes you do not always get a straight fire wall, it jogs.

al that is needed is 16 more feet, could do eight feet on each side

that is why consultants get paid more then masseuses, they know how to massage the code!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cda said:
keep going inside the building till you get """"""Do you think I could propose making the firewall construction effectively longer, perhaps 32' long"""""""may cause a little problem to do, but you get more doors out of it.

just like some people like to wrap sitting rooms in a rated corridor, same concept just keep adding wall. Also, kind of like a fire wall through an entire building, sometimes you do not always get a straight fire wall, it jogs.

al that is needed is 16 more feet, could do eight feet on each side

that is why consultants get paid more then masseuses, they know how to massage the code!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure what """"""" imply s. You could make the firewall the entire length of the building so's to get your 16' door, still the op intent was to separate two different types of construction. So you go around and round and end up with more doors, with one door 16' in length. I would opt for the masseuse.