• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Laundry area in unfinished basement

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Just got a call from an architect concerned that the code official is requiring walls to create a separate area in an unfinished basement for a laundry area. He was told that a laundry area is required to be in habitable space and therefore if they want to put the washer and dryer in the basement, it has to be in a finished room. Again, this is what I am being told. Never heard of this. Thoughts?

Re: Laundry area in unfinished basement

As usual, ask the code official to provide a reference to "help us understand".

Personally, I don't think putting the laundry equipment in the unfinished basement makes it habitable space. I've seen laundry facility in carports and garages in warmer climates.

" Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces."

Sounds odd to me. Get firsthand information from the Code Official with a Code section reference. Although putting laundry rooms upstairs is currently -in vogue' (and incredibly sensible IMHO), traditionally laundry areas were in basements... unfinished basements.

The code official might be looking at keeping the pipes from freezing

Have to agree. Get the Code Official to provide a code section.

I think the code official has made an error. Ask for code section to verify his decision.

I agree with those that would ask the code official to cite the code language that is relevant. There should be a smokie, illumination, handrail on the stairs, emergency escape all in the basement; but a finished room? I don't see it.

There's nothing in the code that would require the laundry room to be be habitable in an unfinished basement. I have to agree with other posters. Have that code official give a reference. We can't enforce our opinions only codes that are adopted.

That official must be related to the one I know locally who wrote up a housebuilder for a doorbell that did not work and for having a phone jack where the inspector thought it shouldn't be.