• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Lawsuits filed over EPA lead rules; EPA stands firm

mark handler

SAWHORSE
A coalition of housing industry groups plans to file a lawsuit against the federal Environmental Protection Agency for removing the "opt-out" provision from its Lead: Renovation, Repair and Painting rule. Removing the opt-out provision more than doubles the number of homes subject to the regulation. Removing the opt-out provision extends the rule to consumers who need no protection, states the NAHB. Read more.

http://links.cygnusb2b.com/rmgo.asp?tid=2503865&eid=60857&sb_id=515691,515691

I don't know if this is apocryphal but it's not only funny but illustrates a safety point, as well as the absurdity of an EPA that is trying to ban plastic bags mandating miles of plastics to be immediately thrown into the landfill, to end up in the Pacific Gyre (and now I hear there is an Atlantic plastic Gyre). Of course what's a government agency going to do when it's sued by the Sierra Club, and the settlement agreement allows Big Eco to write the regulations?

I heard a funny story the other day from one of my paint reps in the NE. Apparently, there was a relatively large government re-development job being done. As you might expect there were lots of union tradesman, and various inspectors from every branch of the government to watch them. Well, as the story goes, some union guy had to put a ladder up in an area that he was working. It was also an area that needed to have plastic for RRP. As he was coming down the ladder he slipped on the plastic and went flying right in front of the OSHA guy. The OSHA guy came over and said get that plastic out of there. The union guy said I need it for RRP. The OSHA inspector said in his most authoritative voice this is my call I have jurisdiction over safety and the EPA can go F%^& themselves. Well, a little while latter the EPA inspector comes by and writes the guy up for no plastic. The union guy tells the EPA inspector to stuff himself and go see the OSHA inspector. Well, the sparks started to fly at that point. Apparently, right there on the job site the OSHA inspector and the EPA inspector were on their phones escalating to their respective bosses as to who had jurisdiction. Meanwhile they are screaming at each other and all the union guys are standing around laughing... I don't know if its true or just some urban legend, but if it isn't true it should be!!!!

conarb said:
I don't know if this is apocryphal but it's not only funny but illustrates a safety point, as well as the absurdity of an EPA that is trying to ban plastic bags mandating miles of plastics to be immediately thrown into the landfill, to end up in the Pacific Gyre (and now I hear there is an Atlantic plastic Gyre). Of course what's a government agency going to do when it's sued by the Sierra Club, and the settlement agreement allows Big Eco to write the regulations?
ONCE AGAIN YOU HYJACK A THREAD FOR YOUR ABSURD THEORIES

I WILL POINT OUT TO YOU THE TITLE OF THE THREAD "Lawsuits filed over EPA lead rules; EPA stands firm" NOT PLASTIC BAGS

conarb said:
Mark: How is talking about the absurdity of a law "hijacking a thread" when the thread is posted about a lawsuit to overturn the law?
"Lawsuits filed over EPA lead rules; EPA stands firm" NOT PLASTIC BAGS

Before I exercise my opt out provision on this thread as it careens off course towards Cuber, I'll repeat again the only fun fact I learned from my five days' training as a lead paint "risk assessor" and inspector. That is, the best any and all of us can do to avoid lead poisoning here, there, or anywhere, no matter whether toddlers or pregnant, is to wash our hands.

"Lawsuits filed over EPA lead rules"

If my memory serves me; I believe this whole lawsuit thing against lead based paint was started when civil rights lawyers in Baltimore sued (to get money); stating that poor folks children in the *"projects" and low income housing were eating lead based paint that was pealing off the walls, because the buildings weren't being maintained properly.

http://www.leadlawsuits.com/index.php?s=699

Lead based paint was the best paint you could use; because of it's durability; especially on the outside on wood framed buildings; and that's reason enough to make it illegal. We can't have durable protective coatings on our homes. The NAHB won't stand for it. The houses will last too long.

Next, gasoline will be outlawed in lawnmowers; because it is available for children to drink or sniff.

* For you young folks; "The Projects" were government financed/backed housing for low income folks.

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
My first RRP job started today, I am not doing this as a contractor, I am doing it as an expert witness retained by the owner, I was called by a contractor friend he told me about a retrofit window job that was leaking and asked if the only solution was to tear them out, throw them away, and stucco in new windows, I told him yes, he asked if I could act as the owners' expert to get their money back from the energy efficiency contractor who installed them. I met with the owner and found mold growing out of the foam around the windows, I then brought in a Remediation company, an air quality guy, and a law firm that specializes in this. Work started today and I was there taking pictures for the legal case, I also took some pictures for you guys showing RRP procedures here. John will do the window replacement but these two apartments will be cleared before he arrives, he will be responsible for RRP in the other 16 apartments, I am only addressing the leakage and mold problems in the two apartments that windows were installed within. The poly was thicker than 6 mil, 6 mil was only used on the carpet leading into the affected area the poly on the floor was thick and three layers, the poly containing the work area is two layers, and the containment room is more layers. I wrote this in Flash so you have to have Flash in your computer to view it, note that there are some descriptions under the thumbnails that change as you click each thumbnail.SlideshowI have attached a PDF of the Remediation contractor's RRP cost breakdown, this not the entire remediation cost in the two affected apartments, this is only the RRP portion of their estimate, see what good estimators our Environmental Protection Agency has? This is the real world of RRP costs in the San Francisco Bay Area.

View attachment 156

View attachment 156

/monthly_2010_07/RRP..jpg.e45393c5e5a7b31345ada64723ed7821.jpg

EPA at work: carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas...wood preservative chemicals are banned as chew-toy flavorings.

Next: oxygen is hazardous in excessive quantity; you will need an EPA permit to breathe.