• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ledger not for decks

As I see it, the deck rim joists from house ledger to outer deck rim beam were uniformly loaded, they now support a wall and part of the roof, a healthy increase and point load on the ledger from the new rim beam that supports the bearing wall. This load needs to be quantified and the new beam connected to the house adequately.

Although the word beam may not appear, a joist, a rafter, a girder and a header are all types of beams. A ledger may or may not be able to resist the quantified load, quantify load and resistance to see. Simpson may ok the use of a hanger through the ledger into the rim, worth a call.

There has been some rewording on the lag penetration specs for deck ledgers, can't recall the specifics they're here somewhere, I switched to bolting.

Presumably the OP questions how the code address decks to be enclosed and it seems we are not on the same page as to how this is done without plan to look at.

Where is the load including snow on the deck when it's covered?

The addition of walls comes into play, now the question is can we make the rim joist a beam? It's never been a problem in the past without hangers but now the code says "Girder supporting deck joists shall not be supported on deck ledgers or band joists." I think this was a mistake and instead should be something similar to what the manufacturer instructions for the hangers in the DCA6-09 has for framing around chimneys or bay windows "when an engineer design is submitted in accordance with section R301.1.3 of the IRC." Question is this engineering provided in the DCA6-09 commentary for trimmer joist using the NDS? Some will require a seal for this but not required in all states.

Could you use this information in the DCA6-09 for framing around chimneys or bay windows for beams for example on wrap around decks at the corner where the orientation of joist remains perpendicular the the exterior walls or where a deck is frame into an inside corner? And what about where stairs are added to the rim joist do you require a header (beam) design with additional post underneath?

Some pictures that where apporved by an engineer had strapping added to the roof diaphram and walls to help carry the load! Yes that's brick veneer.

A picture just for the fun of it . . .

Francis

Last edited by a moderator:
They are not building a sunroom on a deck, there was no deck there. It's realy an addition. The code only sepcifys ledgers used for decks.

When I get a plan for a wrap around deck connected to a corner of a house I mark the plans to install a pier at the corner against the house foudation to suport the deck girder.

floor joists hung from a ledger board in between the two exterior "girders". The sufloor would be attached to the top of the ledger (code attached ledger to resist lateral, uplift & shear) and all perimeter beams & joists to prevent any lateral movement for the joist hangers.