• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Less may = more?

Darren Emery

Just a thought - but it seems to me we may loosing momentum, and perhaps missing some good discussions/debates, by having so many sub-forums.

I wonder if it might keep more viewers engaged if we weren't so scattered.

I kinda liked the "old" setup:

Non-structural

Structural

Trades

I'm just spit-balling here....

Darren Emery,

I don't agree that we [ may ] be losing momentum. Have you read the

thread regarding the ICC Bulletin Board Survey? :eek: Lots of spirited

discussion there! There may not be the volume of topics & associated

discussions going on right now, but " ...losing momentum", ...naaaaah!

While there were some aspects of "The [ Cash ] Cow" that we all

enjoyed, I am not convinvced that we need to emulate that set up at

all.

I will also say that at first, becoming familiar with this "new" forum,

was different and took some adjustments for us all. Since then,

I have become somewhat more familiar with the forum and being

able to navigate around and participate in the various discussions.

IMO, I believe that we need to blaze our own "new" style of trail

and forget about The Cow!

Darren, I just hit the 'what's new' button, then right click and open a new tab/window for a particular discussion. Trying to look over the entire list of categories is cumbersome, and takes a long time. Going over only the 'active' topics also reduces the liklihood of reviving a long daed discussion for failure to check the posting dates...

I've mentioned this before. All that needs to be done is FIX THE "NEW POSTS/WHAT'S NEW" so they will bring up the last 30 posts or 4 days of most recent posts; every time!. You shouldn't have to go through a bunch of hoops the see what has been posted recently.

The old ICC forum had; and our first system here had it.

Nobody, seems to know how to fix this new system so the "new posts/what's new" is useful.

It is too much trouble to have to go and click on each topic and scroll down each topic list; to see what is being posted.

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Customer service hears YA! UB you did bring this up before. My bad. I had forgotten to discuss this issue with Jeff. Most often when we talk it is regarding issues with plans and inspections we both face on a daily bases. I also know that he is very busy out side of the BB. I have made a note to discuss this issue.

I also typically only use the "what's new" button, and it seems to work fine for me. But, UB's suggestion would be OK also.

I just clicked on "What's New"; and only one post was listed;

http://www.inspectpa.com/phpbb/search.php?searchid=30524

RJJ, I appreciate what Jeff and you have done and are doing. This is not meant as a criticism; but, I do think we have lost the ability to keep up with posts and subjects (that we previous had) without going line by line and searching the main topics; and members may be losing interest because they do not see what is being discussed; and may be the main cause of the lack of interest and growth in membership here.

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I will talk about this with Jeff. If he hasn't already read the post. Believe me I am interested in growth, is of use and good debate. I have notice that that topics a not responded to as quick as the old BB. There are or could be a number of factors to that situation. I too use the whats new and have noticed that nothing has been added since my last visit.

Peach: I agree: I am not a web site geek, but learning as I go. I have been looking into various methods to expand and bring us to the general public. Problem is both Jeff and I need to work so that limits time. Also, I have been allowing different bots and spiders that gather info and seen it back to search engines. The last few days I have been tracing the return path of these guests. At first I would exclude them. I did not know the difference between a good bot and a spam one.

Rjj,

At least we are still free! For the historic mission in "availability for JQ public interface" it would have to remain free. I didn't like when the (BCDG) went pay but it appears it's #1 in search engines since Imad went that route.

FM: We are not looking to have people pay. The spider and bots are visiting and gathering info everyday. As I type this response a yahoo slurp spider is reviewing some of the posts. Google and MSN have been on and off all day. Once i understood the reason they had come in I stop blocking them. It will take time to be one of the top links on the search engines. I am learning how to accomplish this daily.

I will check into the "Whats New", "New Posts" issue that I personally don't understand as being an issue. It lists what is new since you last visited. If the list is too long then you have not visited often enough. Seem very relevant to the frequency of your visit.

If there is a limitation on this then I will see if it can be adjusted. There is a new update that is going to fix dozens of little bugs in the most recent software version and I have hired a company to perform the update this week.

Give me a list of what you want and I will have them look into it. I cannot find any settings for the "Whats new" operation.

I would also like to ask everyone to take the time to check on all of the features and personal settings that are available to you with this very powerful software.