• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

less than 32" Door size

It depends on the code adopted in your jurisdiction. If its the 2015 IRC, one egress door (usually the front door) must have a "clear width" of 32" measured from the face of the door at 90 deg. to the wall and the face of the door stop. That means the minimum front door "size" is 34" as mentioned earlier.
Other doors are not restricted but in some jurisdictions the IRC is amended. In Massachusetts doors to habitable rooms must be at least 30" wide and bathrooms at least 28" wide unless they are existing in which case they can be 24" wide. That's only for one state but its a good guide.

It depends on the code adopted in your jurisdiction. If its the 2015 IRC, one egress door (usually the front door) must have a "clear width" of 32" measured from the face of the door at 90 deg. to the wall and the face of the door stop. That means the minimum front door "size" is 34" as mentioned earlier.
Other doors are not restricted but in some jurisdictions the IRC is amended. In Massachusetts doors to habitable rooms must be at least 30" wide and bathrooms at least 28" wide unless they are existing in which case they can be 24" wide. That's only for one state but its a good guide.

I am in mass and looked a the code before my previous post and in 2015 IRC with amendments, I did not see any minimum door width except for emergency egress doors,. can you cite chapter and verse so if I am missing something, please?

I am in mass and looked a the code before my previous post and in 2015 IRC with amendments, I did not see any minimum door width except for emergency egress doors,. can you cite chapter and verse so if I am missing something, please?
The amendments to Chapter 3 of the 9th edition add a new subsection R311.2.1 "Interior doors".

I know the egress doors shall be not less than 32" bu how about bathroom door or walk-in closet door?
thank you!
Los Angles Building code (6304.1)
In residential buildings, every interior door through which occupants pass shall have a minimum width of 32”.

The intent is so firefighters, in their gear, can enter the space, that includes bathrooms.

And it is "good practice" to do so even if not a code minimum.
32" is still tight for in home wheelchair use. 32" is face of door to face of stops too.

In MA the 30" and 28" habitable room and bathroom door dimensions are nominal door sizes even though the 32" exit door dimension is a clear dimension measured to the face of the door at 90 degrees. Just another example of the confusion caused by a long string of uncoordinated revisions.