• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Level 3 sprinklers? 2021 IEBC 904.1.4

steveray

SAWHORSE
Anyone have any input on a definition of "building site"? On the property or in the ROW?...TIA

904.1.4 Groups A, B, E, F-1, H, I-1, I-3, I-4, M, R-1, R-2, R-4, S-1 and S-2.​

In buildings with occupancies in Groups A, B, E, F-1, H, I-1, I-3, I-4, M, R-1, R-2, R-4, S-1 and S-2 work areas shall be provided with automatic sprinkler protection where all of the following conditions occur:

1. 1.The work area is required to be provided with automatic sprinkler protection in accordance with the International Building Code as applicable to new construction.
  2. 2.The building site has sufficient municipal water supply for design and installation of an automatic sprinkler system.
Exception: If the building site does not have sufficient municipal water supply for design of an automatic sprinkler system, work areas shall be protected by an automatic smoke detection system throughout all occupiable spaces other than sleeping units or individual dwelling units that activates the occupant notification system in accordance with Sections 907.4, 907.5 and 907.6 of the International Building Code.
❖ Where greater than 50 percent of the building area is affected as part of the alteration (Level 3), it provides an opportunity to ensure that the building is meeting a minimum level of safety, including fire protection. This Section requires fire sprinklers to be installed within most occupancies when: (1) the IBC requires them for new construction, and (2) sufficient water supply is available to supply the proposed fire sprinkler system.
This Section only requires the sprinkler system to be provided within the work area in question and not necessarily the entire building. In addition, the exception notes that if sufficient water supply is not available, rather than install an automatic fire sprinkler system the owner would need to provide an automatic smoke detection and notification system throughout all occupiable spaces and not simply the work area.

[BG] SITE. A parcel of land bounded by a lot line or a designated portion of a public right-of-way.
I have taken the approach that if the water is readily available to the site as a service line, then water is available, and sprinklers are required.
If it requires a water main extension under our PW and or state requirements, then water is not available to the site and sprinklers will not be available. There is a whole lot of hoops and approvals to get trough for a water main extension versus a simple tap and move on.

looks like MA and CT codes have been admend, MA for sure where required in MA is 903, so I can't help

I would say if supply is in the street. If it was constructing a new building the hot tap and pipe from the street is part of that project, L3 is a high level of work, enough to require the sprinkler