• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Level floor requirements

"The subliminal affect of sloping floors and out of plumb building elements can make some people uncomfortable. The brain recognizes that something is wrong but it doesn't know what that something is."

So true. I just went to visit my son, stationed in WA. Went to the Space Needle, walked out on the observation deck at 540', and when I hit it, I felt like I was on a hillside, as did the rest of our group.

As to why this started in the Welcome forum, can't tell, I didn't notice, I hit the most the recent threads immediatelly so I didn't notice it, but I am moving it to what I feel it the appropriate forum. Thanks ICE.

i think it'd be difficult to say the least (grasping at straws) to try to enforce the aci requirements for flatness of concrete on an existing building. someones either out in left field or not on the bases at all

Daulton said:
I have a property owner converting a single family home in commercial zone to offices. Builder, believe it or not, is contesting my requirement to level the former garage floor for new office area. I cannot find a requirement in the Ca. building codes for a level floor but it is a no-brainer for me. Can anyone help. Thank you in advance.
How about an update? Did the owner prevail?

gbhammer said:
Thats why I could would not do it in my area. It would be bullying just as imhotep said. In the long run it is existing building and there are way to many ways to get around an iffy at best requirement to level the floor.
There could also be code requirements that need to be addressed in a residential to commercial conversion (i.e., frost protection of conditioned spaces, structural commercial loading, etc.), which are not bullying, but are also not letting it slide. As for the floor slope OP, It would be bullying if an actual code requirement is not driving the change...I mean, without sloping floors where would post-modernism be?

Frank Lloyd Wright's architectural "purity" included sloping floors, cracked stucco and leaky roofs and windows

Papio Bldg Dept said:
There could also be code requirements that need to be addressed in a residential to commercial conversion (i.e., frost protection of conditioned spaces, structural commercial loading, etc.), which are not bullying, but are also not letting it slide. As for the floor slope OP, It would be bullying if an actual code requirement is not driving the change...I mean, without sloping floors where would post-modernism be?
Sorry post whatie isssmit? Did that happen when we got the TV and indoor plumb'n, cause Ma always said we was lucky to be born now a days and not back when they had the dirt floors and all.

gbhammer said:
Sorry post whatie isssmit? Did that happen when we got the TV and indoor plumb'n, cause Ma always said we was lucky to be born now a days and not back when they had the dirt floors and all.
Well that there then would had us all fit to be tied what with all them angles all caddywhompus to one another, not sure how you'd tell if it was one finger of rise in one hand or not.