• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Lifestyle Reintegration Facility

Architect1281

Gold Member
or Halfway between chemically (liquid or capsule) dependent living and a naturally enhanced lifestyle.

Existing structure rehabilitation - no issues with structure use or area

Support facilities of office meeting spaces group or individual

19 individual residentail living areas like dormitory or not Non- Transient > 30 days could be 12 - 18 months

each space has bath sleeping and a mancave bar - so theree is the question

single fixture includes 5 cf refer, small sink, microwave, (so far so good) but also includes two burner hotplate

built in to unit.

so in your opinions does that make it a DWELLING Unit, with permanent provisions for cooking cause that puts the third leg on the sleeping unit definition.

which then requires 60 Amp min Electric serv - totally unnecessary way over

but then

Energy says tenant needs individual meters so in this case they know how much energy they are not paying for

- could avoid that by maybe they are clients not tenants.

How literal would others be?

I assume the also have provisions for sanitation. That would fit the NEC's def of a dwelling unit.

Dwelling Unit. A single unit, providing complete and independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation.

Yes each living space has a bath

but on more philosophical does the building code ICC define permanent facilities for cooking or does NFPA -(them guys) define permanent cooking

I can buy that wiring method per NEC can comply with thier definition of what is is

but is it is in the building code language.

I had previously required a stove / range sink refer to determine permanant cooking / kitchen

until NEC decided to define cause prior to 2008 NEC they were just as un-defined

Well I have a problem with the interpretation of permanent. The appliance you describe sound as though it is plug and cord connected not unlike many household electric ranges. How "permanent" is that really?

The name "Lifestyle Reintegration Facility" intrigues me, I wonder if they want to send us all to "Lifestyle Reintegration Facilities" so we can be "reeducated"?

Con Arb that is my PC acceptable contribution to "Halfway House"

and yes it does look like the difference is a Walmart Countertop Appliance hotplate versus one you cant foul up the cord on

is the difference between permanant and man cave appliance status

still can't do a turkey

and If any one has a line on the older 1970 to 1980 Minimum Property Standards send it along please

Looks like hud even gave up on quality and common sense and is relyining on consensus panels to write code

The MPS I used had differing area, shelf and appliance size based on number of bedrooms

x inches left of 24" range

x inches left or right of 12 Cu Ft refer

y sq ft of shelf or cabinet space etc>>>