• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Light Fixture in Rated ceiling

J

Joe_B

Is there anyhting that allows for a recessed can fixtures in a 1/2 hr. floor/ceiling assembly? The building is a R-2 type IIIB construction fully sprinklered. I have checked in U.L listings and have not found anything and also have not found anyhting in IBC that is specific to light fixture penetrations.

It may depend on the can but I think most are not. I believe there are products that can be placed over cans that make them fire rated.

I have found a product to cover them, but i was hoping to avoid this if possible. This issue was caught late in the game, fixtures are in and drywall is being applied. thanks for your assitance.