• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Light Switches in Existing Commercial Building

I agree BB and would not require a thing to be done as far as lighting is concerned unless alterations were made.

I think the question now is: Can lighting controls be located some where other than the entrance?

I say only if there is sufficient lighting as required by the code once the building is occupied. Many, many facilities have the light switch located some where other than the front door, they also have night lighting or a lot of natural lighting.

gbhammer said:
Raider we don't require a switch at the door we simply require that if the space does not meet the level of required illumination the moment it is occupied then it is in violation of the code.
gbhammer said:
If you have to occupy a room and then walk across a dark room to turn the light on you are in violation of the building code.
So how far away from the door can the switches be?

gbhammer said:
There is most likely going to be some natural illumination from the open door way in order to step over the threshould and still be compliant. The point is that without natural or artifical (night lighting) you are creating a hazard/code violation if you have rooms that are not illuminated while being occupied even if for just the time it takes to walk across the room to a panel board, and to mees with a panel baord in the dark is even more dangerous.
What if I have windows that meet 1205.2 would you still prohibit switches or breakers to control the artificial lighting from not being located at the entrance door?

IECC 505.2.1 does not require that the interior lighting controls be located immediately adjacent to the entrance/egress door.

Chris

gbhammer said:
I think the question now is: Can lighting controls be located some where other than the entrance?

I say only if there is sufficient lighting as required by the code once the building is occupied. Many, many facilities have the light switch located some where other than the front door, they also have night lighting or a lot of natural lighting.
I like the way this ball is bouncing. It's like playing four square. In other words, is every door that could be used as an entrance to have a light switch within the immediate vicinity? A building (or room/space) with four entrances would require each entrance to have a switch, unless of course the door lock is blanked from the outside? A conference room with two means of ingress needs to have a light switch at each door, and it needs to control enough of the lights to meet the minimum for a habitable (or occupiable) room...? Am I getting this right gb? Come on man, don't spare the hammer, lay it down. Let's hear it.

I totally agree with Chris but I bow down to the building experts. There would need to be a statement in the code that stated "X" feet from the room. The NEC does not require any switches other then at stairways. Theoretically you could have the breakers be the switch. Of course, design will take care of that.

raider1 said:
So how far away from the door can the switches be? What if I have windows that meet 1205.2 would you still prohibit switches or breakers to control the artificial lighting from not being located at the entrance door?

IECC 505.2.1 does not require that the interior lighting controls be located immediately adjacent to the entrance/egress door.

Chris
I would get a light meter and measure the lumen fall-off with door at a 90 degree position. Anywhere measuring less than 11 lux is too far away.

LOL

If the room is illuminated to the minimum requirements of the code by sany means natural or artifical then I could care less where the switch is located, even in another room.

Papio Bldg Dept said:
I would get a light meter and measure the lumen fall-off with door at a 90 degree position. Anywhere measuring less than 11 lux is too far away.
yeah baby, thats the stuff, pull out a light meter. (yes I used to be a key grip/ best boy the old days)

If interested here is the NEC requirements. Reading it quickly one assumes a switch is req. but it states a switch controlled lighting outlet by every door... Not the switch and the switch can be a breaker and in residence design usually includes many switches near the area of exits or entrance.

210.70 Lighting Outlets Required. Lighting outlets shall be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), and ©.(A) Dwelling Units. In dwelling units, lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3).

(1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch–controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and bathroom.

Exception No. 1: In other than kitchens and bathrooms, one or more receptacles controlled by a wall switch shall be permitted in lieu of lighting outlets.

Exception No. 2: Lighting outlets shall be permitted to be controlled by occupancy sensors that are (1) in addition to wall switches or (2) located at a customary wall switch location and equipped with a manual override that will allow the sensor to function as a wall switch.

(2) Additional Locations. Additional lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with (A)(2)(a), (A)(2)(b), and (A)(2)©.

(a) At least one wall switch–controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in hallways, stairways, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power.

(b) For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power, at least one wall switch– controlled lighting outlet shall be installed to provide illumination on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits with grade level access. A vehicle door in a garage shall not be considered as an outdoor entrance or exit.

© Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level, and landing level that includes an entryway, to

control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.

Exception to (A)(2)(a), (A)(2)(b), and (A)(2)©: In hallways, in stairways, and at outdoor entrances, remote, central, or automatic control of lighting shall be permitted.

(3) Storage or Equipment Spaces. For attics, underfloor spaces, utility rooms, and basements, at least one lighting outlet containing a switch or controlled by a wall switch

shall be installed where these spaces are used for storage or contain equipment requiring servicing. At least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces.

The lighting outlet shall be provided at or near the equipment requiring servicing.

This is almost a hot topic that jar wanted :)

Oh by the way.......the breaker is the switch for the lights. It's located in the restroom area.

codeworks said:
so , is the panel in the restroom? and is the breaker marked "SWD" ?
As long as it is not the main service disconnect then you can have breakers in the restroom in a non-dwelling. 230.70(A)(2) and 240.24(E)