• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Lighting code for two family inspection?

Giginw

Hi all,

I'm converting one family to two in Queens NY. My GC said I can't use the pendant lights since they are mostly from China and don't have the green ground wire required. But my architect friend said any UL listed light would be fine. Does anyone know the code?

I bought some modern LED lights too, it doesn't say UL listed. Doesn it mean I can't use them until after the Insepction?

Thanks in advance!

The lights are required to be listed (not necessarily by UL), but do not necessarily have to have a ground wire if they are listed without one.

If the lights are all plastic, it wouldn't need a ground/bond wire anyway.

If you take apart a normal plastic shop vac, you will find that the ground wire is not attached to anything because there are no relevant metal parts to attach it to - but my understanding is that OSHA requires a grounded plug on all equipment on a job site, so the grounded cord is installed and the ground wire is not used.

I did not look up the OSHA regs on that, that is just word of mouth about what an OSHA inspector will fail you on, but the Rigid shop vac I took apart had a ground wire on the cord, but nothing to connect it to inside the unit. I could think of no other explanation for why they would used a three prong cord when the ground wire is not used.

Doesn it mean I can't use them until after the Insepction?
This will make many of us laugh, and others it will frustrate and annoy. As others have said things you install need to be listed, and your inspector may fail things that are not. The reality is that after you pass your inspection you (and anybody else) are going to do whatever you want, but that doesn't make it right, and more importantly it doesn't make it safe. If you pass your inspection then immediately install an unlisted device it's on you. Chances are nothing will go wrong, but if that device burns your house down your home insurance may be able to deny your claim.

The lights are required to be listed (not necessarily by UL), but do not necessarily have to have a ground wire if they are listed without one.

If the lights are all plastic, it wouldn't need a ground/bond wire anyway.

If you take apart a normal plastic shop vac, you will find that the ground wire is not attached to anything because there are no relevant metal parts to attach it to - but my understanding is that OSHA requires a grounded plug on all equipment on a job site, so the grounded cord is installed and the ground wire is not used.

I did not look up the OSHA regs on that, that is just word of mouth about what an OSHA inspector will fail you on, but the Rigid shop vac I took apart had a ground wire on the cord, but nothing to connect it to inside the unit. I could think of no other explanation for why they would used a three prong cord when the ground wire is not used.
Thank you! I do have a ground wire installed to pass the electrical inspection. They actually wrongfully installed to the old water main and had to later change it to the new location to pass the inspection.

I passed water inspection as well (I got rid of gas comepletly to avoid argument with my neighbour so it's only new sewage pipes to look at).

What are the things inspectors care about most on a finally inspection pls?

This will make many of us laugh, and others it will frustrate and annoy. As others have said things you install need to be listed, and your inspector may fail things that are not. The reality is that after you pass your inspection you (and anybody else) are going to do whatever you want, but that doesn't make it right, and more importantly it doesn't make it safe. If you pass your inspection then immediately install an unlisted device it's on you. Chances are nothing will go wrong, but if that device burns your house down your home insurance may be able to deny your claim.
Thank you! I'll use UL listed lights since it's most easy to find on the market? A lot of pendant lights shipped from China are pretty but not listed. But that's an easy fix I can just switch the lamp shade.

I also bought IP 65 waterproof light for the area close to shower. Hopefully inspector will say ok to that:)

What are the things inspectors care about most on a finally inspection pls?
That is an open ended question with no correct answer. It depends on the scope of work and every aspect of that work is inspected. Having a job card with the signatures for the previous inspections is important. Having the right signatures makes it better.

Last edited:
Maybe that's why inspectors say different things. My house is an one family converting to two. Interior renovation only since the extension is not approved. Plan examiner said I have to get new CO first then apply again under new DOB e-filing system).

My architect refused to write a re-consideration letter even though that's what Queens commissioner recommended since I only have a small 8x15 extension on the second floor to match my neighbour.

Which means I have to eveything again after getting a new CO, roofing, siding, electric, plumbing...