• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Live Theater Set question

Mac

Gold Member
Our local theater group has a twist on the usual arrangement. They propose to build a stage above the existing seating/viewing area, and the audience will have seating on a couple of small bleachers on the existing stage. Kind of an audience/performance switcheroo.

Thus far I have determined that the audience has adequate exiting, but the stage has me stumped. If the temporary stage needs a building permit, then it must meet codes for floor loads and all. If the stage is simply part of the theater's set construction, (maybe) no permit is needed.

Theater sets are more for appearances in performing than actual load-bearing. They can look quite real but are made from lightweight materials. Having the set-builders constructing the performances' stage just gives me the jitters.

Please advise!

So how long is temporary to them????

After Anaheim collapse would highly suggest some good sturdy construction who ever builds it

Would go with permit and plans so it is documented

( = = = )

Mac,

Sounds like "new" construction to me as well, hence, ...RDP

designed plans and a legitimate permit......Oh yeah, don't

forget the Accessibility requirements !

Liability is an animal to not be forgotten or ignored !

( = = = )