• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Live & Work Commercial Change in Use

FM William Burns

Have a 2 -story SFD converting to the same owner occupied commercial on ground floor and R above on 2nd floor. Having a mental breakdown...

Question 1 - So is a 13R permitted?

Question 2 - This is regulated by the IBC due to mixed use correct?

2009 IBC applicable sections

R101.2 Scope.

The provisions of the International Residential Code for One- and Two-family Dwellings shall apply to the construction, alteration , movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, removal and demolition of detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses not more than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures .

Exception: Live/work units complying with the requirements of Section 419 of the International Building Code shall be permitted to be built as one- and two-family dwellings or townhouses. Fire suppression required by Section 419.5 of the International Building Code when constructed under the International Residential Code for One- and Two-family Dwellings shall conform to Section 903.3.1.3 of the International Building Code .

419.5 Fire protection.

The live/work unit shall be provided with a monitored fire alarm system where required by Section 907.2.9 and an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.2.8.

? 1 Yes a 13 R is all that is required 419.2 "Live/work units shall be classified as a Group R-2 occupancy".

?2. I don't the live/work portion of IBC automatically applies when converting an existing SFR. I think you should start with the IEBC or Chapter 34 of the IBC and look at the requirements there. I believe the live/work unit requirements are more for new construction.

Thanks MT!

Having the hang up with the requirement from 903.3 to the design standard of 13 in accordance with 903.3.1.1, unless otherwise permitted by 903.1.2 (13R)..... leading me to believe that it has to be a 13 (with the exempt locations of 903.1.1.1) since there is no direction to 903.3.1.2.

Question....since it's a R occupancy below 4 stories is that the permission to use the 13R design standard?

Yes and the fact that 419.2 classifies it as a R-2 regardless of what the commercial use is. Probably because of the size limit. 3,000 sq ft total with a maximum 50% for commercial use.

Now you could do a lot of custom re-loading or welding in a 1,500 sq ft space but when again if you live and work in the same building you might be a little more attentive to your operation.

Once again thanks MT my line of thought too and this will save the customer $$ and the risks are reasonable to manage with a 13R. The RDP and owner support our recommendation for heat detection in the attic supervised by the required monitored fire alarm. BTW this will all be light hazard accessory operations.

Be safe out there!

You must also verify if it qualifies as a "live-work unit" by looking at IBC2009 section 419 for parameters like max sf etc, and 508.1 for separation

My opinion, shared many times.

If it is a single dwelling, 13D meets the intent of the code, which is to allow the occupants of the dwelling an additional margin of safety.

The alarm requirements for monitoring flow and tamper associated with 13R are inappropriate for the use.

So are the dedicated supply and Y.

The hazard is the single dwelling - that's why the code directs us to 903.2.8.

If one doesn't buy that, then there's no way to get to 13R.

It's gotta' be full 13.

And there are many here on the forum who believe that.

brudgers said:
My opinion, shared many times. If it is a single dwelling, 13D meets the intent of the code, which is to allow the occupants of the dwelling an additional margin of safety.

The alarm requirements for monitoring flow and tamper associated with 13R are inappropriate for the use.

So are the dedicated supply and Y.

The hazard is the single dwelling - that's why the code directs us to 903.2.8.

If one doesn't buy that, then there's no way to get to 13R.

It's gotta' be full 13.

And there are many here on the forum who believe that.
We will allow the 13R due to the occupancy being 80% R with light hazard accessory uses. We will require alarm monitoring and heat detection in attic due to the grayness and our meeting with the RDP and owner today while explaining risks.....they feel fine. The tap will be off the 2" supply downstream from municipal main as permitted by 13R Figure© with locked shut off and the interior alarm is for the owners in case a situation develops in their M or B or Basement S. This is a resasonable solution to the vagueness and all stakeholders have their rear covered. This is the example of a win/win and what it's all about.