• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Live/Work Unit

barlovian

Bronze Member
What is a live/work unit? I haven't found a definition of what a "unit" is. A unit could be the entire building consisting of the apartment and the business, or each individual "sleeping unit/business" could be a unit.

When I first saw this section, I thought that someone decided that the code should start to acknowledge home occupations. But this code section doesn't say anything to require a business operator to live at the sleeping unit.

So, was this put in to encourage mixed use, renting out to a small business on the first floor with an apartment or two above?

Or neither, just a way to encourage more mom and pop businesses to install a sprinkler system?

Perhaps this section was added to help plans reviewers who couldn't figure out which use group to put these into after code enforcement reported that they found five mattresses and a hot plate in the back of the shop.

Well, IBC does refer to the business being operated by a tenant. So much for home occupation, if you own your house. Code only allows a tenant.

IBC 2009 419.5

419.1 General.

A live/work unit is a dwelling unit or sleeping unit in which a significant portion of the space includes a nonresidential use that is operated by the tenant and shall comply with Sections 419.1 through 419.8.

DWELLING UNIT. A single unit providing complete, independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking and sanitation.

SLEEPING UNIT. A room or space in which people sleep, which can also include permanent provisions for living, eating, and either sanitation or kitchen facilities but not both. Such rooms and spaces that are also part of a dwelling unit are not sleeping units.

Re: Live/Work Unit

The intent of a live/work unit was to allow the use of a residential structure with the bottom floor being a business with a maximum of 5 employees and the second floor being a dwelling. If it meets all the criteria for allowable square footage, etc. in Section 419, the entire structure can be classified as an R-2 and have a 13R sprinkler system without any fire resistive construction between them. This was to allow a growing trend throughout the country for these types of buildings.

Section 419 still has problems though. You could have a restaurant on the bottom floor with an occupant load of 50 or more that had 5 or fewer employess and you would not have to install panic hardware. Read 419.3.

There was a code change proposal in Baltimore that addressed this exact situation but was disapproved becasue of some other issues. I expect it to pass with a public comment in Dalleas at the Final Action Hearings.

So, this is actually for 'work' places that would exceed what you would normally consider a 'home occupation'?

Another problem with the section is it does not address the required number of fixtures for the increased occupancy load, I have amended the section to address that, also limiting the max load to 49 for exiting issues.

jd:

Yes they would. These are not your typical home occupations, they are actually businesses that are open to the public. You could have anything from a cpa's office to a samall dining establishment as long as the number of employees did not exceed 5. I don't think they envisioned them being used for restaurants, but nothing prohibits them from being used as such.

Also, in the IRC you can also have them and just install a 13D system.

R101.2 Scope. The provisions of the International Residential Code for One- and Two-family Dwellings shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, removal and demolition of detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses not more than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures.

Exception: Live/work units complying with the requirements of Section 419 of the International Building Code shall be permitted to be built as one- and two-family dwellings or townhouses. Fire suppression required by Section 419.5 of the International Building Code when constructed under the International Residential Code for One- and Two-family Dwellings shall conform to Section 903.3.1.3 of the International Building Code.

903.3.1.3 NFPA 13D sprinkler systems. Where allowed, automatic sprinkler systems installed in one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses shall be installed throughout in accordance with NFPA 13D.

:eek:

My advice is, if you see plans for "Live/Work" units, RUN AWAY!! We have a section of our jurisdiction that has a 2-3 block stretch of these beasts and they are a code enforcement NIGHTMARE! Most of our problems, though, stem from the manner in which these were constructed - They are built like 3-story-with-a-basement townhouses, and each townhouse has one stair in the front or back corner, and a door into the stair of the adjacent townhouse at the opposite corner of the unit. With this arrangement, you have a property owner that "owns" the egress of the adjacent property...And we're finding out that the property owners now want to restrict access by the adjacent unit owner/occupants - problem is, the covenants only require EGRESS to be provided, so the property owners would be within their rights. Another issue we have is that the main utility space (Elec, H2O/Sprinkler, and F.A.) is in the basement, which becomes someone's tenant space - a whole 'nother problem when you are trying to gain access during an automatic alarm in the middle of the night :roll: .

If anyone has these proposed in your area, give me a shout - I'll be happy to share some pointers on what NOT to do/allow! :)