• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Living on the Edge - Wet Use Joist Spans in the IRC R507

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Talk about cutting it close; check this out. In the IRC Table R507.6, a 2x8 nominal Southern Yellow Pine floor joist has a maximum span of 11' 10" @ 16" o.c., which is cutting it close, to say the least. There may be a safety factor built in, but certainly not a practicality factor, especially when you look at how close the deflection is to failing.

What are your thoughts on this? Did you think the tables were more conservative than they are?

Screenshot 2024-01-06 225219.png

What are your thoughts on this? Did you think the tables were more conservative than they are?
This is the expected outcome when the span is deflection controlled. The safety factors are built into the allowable stresses and the design modulus.

Cheers, Wayne

Codes should not be a guide for good design, but merely a minimum. Meeting code earns a letter grade of D.

This is the expected outcome when the span is deflection controlled. The safety factors are built into the allowable stresses and the design modulus.

Cheers, Wayne
I understand & agree. This is the difference between minimum safety and good design for the longevity of the structure.

Wet use would be for decks, which seldom support plaster ceilings. IBC Table 1604.3 allows L/240 deflection for non-plaster ceilings, and L/180 deflection for no ceiling.

Wet use would be for decks, which seldom support plaster ceilings. IBC Table 1604.3 allows L/240 deflection for non-plaster ceilings, and L/180 deflection for no ceiling.
I thought we were discussing floor joists. Yes in the IBC as you describe for rafter/ceiling joists, but not in the IRC.

I understand & agree. This is the difference between minimum safety and good design for the longevity of the structure.
Unless you're running herds of elephants around on these joists, I don't think designing for L/360 deflection is going to decrease the longevity of the structure.

Cheers, Wayne