• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Load bearing wall?

wikkan

Hello,
I want to do some remodeling of my house. Behind picture (1) is a small covered porch that I want to make part of the living room. To move the walls I want to understand if they are load bearing. During construction the walls look like in (3) and (4). Picture (2) shows the attic from on top of the porch (bright area).

Can anyone provide me with information if both sides are load bearing or not?

Thank you

1.JPG1 3.jpg2 2.jpg3 4.jpg4

Too little info but the roof seems to cover the porch. Is there a column at the corner? Some sense of headers under the the eave?

Last edited:
Looks like the top plate of this wall is not touching the bottom chord of the truss. I would lean toward not load bearing, but more info is needed.

Attachments

• IMG_4576.jpeg
    IMG_4576.jpeg
    995.1 KB · Views: 5
I dunno. The double door is framed with double jack studs and double king studs, and what appears to be a load-bearing header. I find it difficult to believe that a framer would have done all that for a non-bearing wall. Without seeing the actual framing drawings, I would have to do with "load bearing."

I dunno. The double door is framed with double jack studs and double king studs, and what appears to be a load-bearing header. I find it difficult to believe that a framer would have done all that for a non-bearing wall. Without seeing the actual framing drawings, I would have to do with "load bearing."
You’re probably right on the double door wall, looks like it supports the trusses which cantilever to the edge of the roof. And i still think the single door wall is not load bearing.

& : & : &

And Welcome ** wikkan ** to the Building Codes Forum !

& : & : &

Looks like an attic truss, with exterior wall bearing. are all the trusses identical in the attic form the wide part of the living room over the entry? if ye then exterior walls most likely are the bearing walls

That's the unknown: do the trusses cantilever over thebdoor header or is there a post and header outside.

I have seen headers and trimmers in non-load bearing walls frequently.

Almost looks like an attic truss, with knee wall atop header, which makes some sense if wall is load bearing.

Seems as though the truss company isn't all that particular about the lumber they use. You wouldn't see that on a pallet.

3 2.jpg