• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Location of label on fire rated door

Inspector 102

Silver Member
Is it acceptable to have the label for a 20-minute rated fire door on the top of the door slab as opposed to the side. I have always seen them on the hinge side of the door slab and am questioning whether a slab has been modified. Maybe they put them on top so there is less chance of getting painted over?

I believe so. The requirements come from NFPA 80. See the highlighted sections that follow.

1694543210565.png
1694543267178.png
1694543297212.png

I have seen both. Not sure why. Didn't really care, I knew to look on the top anyways.

I've always seen them on the hinge side. Was there a frame label?

Labels shall be applied in locations that are readily visible and convenient for identification by the AHJ after installation and the assembly.

Door manufacture might want the door tops and bottoms sealed for warranty? I'd check that.

My grumpy side sez: So now I have to carry a ladder, cuz some smart guy placed the label on the top of the door. Why don't we let them place the label on the bottom of the door then I can go buy one of those little mirrors on a stick! Always wanted one of those for my pocket protector!

Just checked my door and frame in the office, guess if you have a label your doing better than some.

Also...

2021 IBC 716.2.9.1 Fire Door Labeling Requirements

Fire doors shall be labeled showing the name of the manufacturer or other identification readily traceable back to the manufacturer, the name or trademark of the third-party inspection agency, the fire protection rating and, where required for fire doors in interior exit stairways and ramps and exit passageways by Section 716.2.2.3, the maximum transmitted temperature end point. Smoke and draft control doors complying with UL 1784 shall be labeled as such and shall comply with Section 716.2.9.3. Labels shall be approved and permanently affixed. The label shall be applied at the factory or location where fabrication and assembly are performed.

Hello, question rolling steel fire doors, where is the label usually located? Is it at the bottom of the curtain door or hood?

1703189337202.png

Readily visible does not mean "at a height that requires a stepstool or a mirror to observe."

So to answer the OP's question: NO.

Attachments

• 1703189304898.png
    1703189304898.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 1
View attachment 12363

Readily visible does not mean "at a height that requires a stepstool or a mirror to observe."

So to answer the OP's question: NO.
I disagree. Readily visible is not a defined term unfortunately; however, given the use of a mirror or step stool, it is fairly easy to identify and review a label. Reach up and take a photo even.

I would say that installing the label on the door may not be readily visible, given it is likely that the door would have to be removed to examine...But I'd say that industry standard has been to put the label on the side or top of the door.

I disagree. Readily visible is not a defined term unfortunately; however, given the use of a mirror or step stool, it is fairly easy to identify and review a label. Reach up and take a photo even.

I would say that installing the label on the door may not be readily visible, given it is likely that the door would have to be removed to examine...But I'd say that industry standard has been to put the label on the side or top of the door.
"Readily" is a defined term in the dictionary, "promptly, quickly, easily."

I look on the spine of the door for the label. If I have to go to the truck for a stepladder, it's not "promptly, quickly, or easily" and hence, is not readily visible.

"Readily" is a defined term in the dictionary, "promptly, quickly, easily."

I look on the spine of the door for the label. If I have to go to the truck for a stepladder, it's not "promptly, quickly, or easily" and hence, is not readily visible.
That would be your personal opinion however. Not that my opinion is not. Just pointing out that neither of us have the definitive stance.