• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Locations of solar inverters and kill switches?

MtnArch

Sawhorse
All -

I'm on an Architectural Review Committee for a new development where we live (California, so CEC applies), and we're running into some questions that I can't give the rest of the committee answers to.

The development (I've been told) has been designed and built such that conduit(s) have been installed from the attic down to the electrical sub-panel which is located in the garage (and which is very near to where the meter is located on the opposite exterior side of the wall). All installations (to date) have all equipment (inverters, kill switches, etc.) in the garage - except for a new installation.

Are there provisions in the code that mandate that the equipment can NOT be located in a garage?

Thanks for any answers - I know enough about electrical to know not to touch live wires or to put a knife in an outlet!

No....if it is a supply side connection (utility side of main breaker) I believe they need a disco within 10', but nothing that is a straight up garage prohibition...

690.14: Additional Provisions. Photovoltaic disconnecting means shall comply with 690.14(A) through (D). (A) Disconnecting Means. The disconnecting means shall not be required to be suitable as service equipment and shall comply with 690.17. (B) Equipment. Equipment such as photovoltaic source circuit isolating switches, overcurrent devices, and blocking diodes shall be permitted on the photovoltaic side of the photovoltaic disconnecting means. (C) Requirements for Disconnecting Means. Means shall be provided to disconnect all conductors in a building or other structure from the photovoltaic system conductors. (1) Location. The photovoltaic disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either on the outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the system conductors.

% = % = %

MtnArch,

No, there are no specific Articles in the CEC or NEC, that prohibits
the installation of solar equipment in to a Garage.........Since the
solar equipment & components will be located in a Garage, the
standard langauge & caution of having "ready access" to that
equipment may or may not be an issue for each homeowner.
Typically, Garages store a large variety of stuff in them, so
keeping "readily accessible clearances" to the equipment may
want to be emphasized.

Also, there are some Marking \ Labeling requirements of
the solar equipment [ see Article 690.17(E) & 690.35(F)
in the `14 NEC. NOTE: The 2016 Edition of the CEC is
modeled on the 2014 NEC ].

Also, you may want to emphasize that a correct & legibly
labeled Electrical Panel Directory will GREATLY assist
each homeowner.......I haven't seen but a very few over my
career [ RE: Article 408.4, `14 NEC ].

% = % = %