• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Log structures

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Can anyone point me to some good reliable information on log structures? I know ICC has thier publication ICC400, but I have found that some of those can be a little less than what I hoped for and before I dish out the 20.00 I want to know if there are better publications. Hate to spend the money only to be referred to another manual.

What are you looking for out of a publication? It is the closest thing to a standard but is pretty new and evolving.

Anything to help me understand and inspect them better. The experience I have with them has led me to believe that there are different types, each with unique properties. I do not have the 400 standard but assume it will be generic, I was just wondering if there were any other guides out there. I will start with the 400 and learn from the systems as I encounter them. Thanks for the reply DRP.

And in the state of Washington, 3.5" thick log walls are deemed eqivalent to R21 insulation.

Note that ICC-400 is referenced from Section 2301.2 of the 2009 IBC and Section R301.1.1 of the 2009 IRC. Thus ICC-400 should be the starting point of your inspections

The standard evolved so that each log home would not have to be engineered from the ground up. It does provide for prescriptive details that are often repeated from one home to another. There are several different "tracks" that are followed in the manufacture and construction of log homes. The major distinction is between milled logs and scribed logs.

There is included in the standard a table of R value per inch of log wall thickness that takes into account the thermal mass of the wall, righter, you need to check this.

The timberframe community is working on a similar standard, again to avoid having to engineer typical details.

When you get the standard and begin reviewing it feel free to post specific questions.