• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Lumber sales

Yikes

Gold Member
I’m working on designing a lumber building that has lumber sales. Picture something like a Home Depot. There is no on-site milling. I believe this qualifies as an M occupancy (sales), not a storage occupancy - - correct me if I’m wrong.

We do have some exterior sales area, but it is not “open to the sky” - - the lumber is stacked under metal shed roofs (no side walls), which will be sprinklered.

As I look at IFC Chapter 19, it appears this chapter is only for processing and storage.

Is that how you would understand it?

As a code official, how would you define the difference between lumber storage vs. lumber sales? Is it merely the amount of time the inventory stays in the yard? Or is it the direct access by customers to purchase and load the wood directly onto their shopping carts or vehicles?