• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

MA - approved _outdoor_ gas grill appliance?

Qwerty1234

Hi,
I have a contractor building an outdoor kitchen on a new deck, with granite countertop and granite backsplash. I bought an outdoor built in gas grill and side burner for it, along with insulated jackets to meet fire safety requirements; I thought I did it all according to the specs of the equipment.

Now I have the equipment ready to be installed, and .. snag. The plumber is saying it can't be installed because the appliance is not listed on the MA state's "Accepted Plumbing Products Online System"?? - https://licensing.reg.state.ma.us/pubLic/pl_products/pb_pre_form.asp.
Apparently for MA, ETL or other national approvals aren't enough for gas and plumbing.

i called two grill manufacturers (including the one I bought) and they insist that this rule only applies to indoor gas appliances, and that outdoor gas appliances are not required be listed in MA. In fact, one said that when they tried to renew the approval, they were told that this is no longer required for outdoor appliances.

So now I am stuck, with a countertop cut to match the dimensions of the equipment, and equipment that the plumber is refusing to install.

I'm hoping there is a Massachusetts expert here that knows what the deal is here, and what options I have other than redo the outdoor kitchen or convince the manufacturer to apply for this certification (however long that takes)

Thank you!

It sounds like your birthdate may be to talk to the local AHJ and see what their opinion is. Considering several people told you that the MA requirements did not req being on the list for outdoor appliances may be clear and ready to go. If you get the AHJ to tell you that ask him to provide you a letter that you can give to the plumber.

It sounds like your birthdate may be to talk to the local AHJ and see what their opinion is. Considering several people told you that the MA requirements did not req being on the list for outdoor appliances may be clear and ready to go. If you get the AHJ to tell you that ask him to provide you a letter that you can give to the plumber.
Do you mean my town's plumbing inspector? I don't want to give them new ideas :)