• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

MA-is this an additional unit?

Lanproperties

Greeting all, I am closing on a legal 3 family property, there are total of 6 rooms listed as unused space, these 6 rooms are all finished, with drywall and ceiling, electrical as well. these rooms are not connected to the 3 units in anyway.

Owner is a widow, selling the home and moving to a nursing home.

4 rooms on second floor, no plumbing/heat, has electric.one egress.

My question is the following,

2 rooms on the attic- has plumbing, tub, toilet, hook up for kitchen sink....(a studio unit). This 2 rooms has 2 egress. I see this 2 room unit could be converted To a legal rental unit without much of expense...

I am not sure what this would be considered as, the space is already there, finished, and I am not building anything to make it livable. What kind of hoop do you think I would have to go through to make it legal?

Also in MA, is the fire code requiring sprinkler system if building has 5 ore more units?

Thanks much!

The 2 rooms(studio unit, probably 700sqft total) in the attic definitely looks like it has been rented before.

The 4 rooms on the second floor look like they have been used as storage by the owner.

Thanks