• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mag-Locks in Hospitals

LGreene

In the 2009 IBC, I-2 was added to the list of acceptable occupancy types for access-controlled egress doors. This is the section that typically applies to mag-locks, along with the new (2009) section, Electromagnetically Locked Egress Doors. Prior to the 2009 edition, I-2 was not listed as one of the occupancy types for ACED, and it was not included in the ELED section in the 2009 IBC.

Every hospital I've ever been in has mag-locks all over the place. Is this because NFPA 101 becomes the more relevant code because of JCAHO/CMS (101 does allow ACED in health care)? Is it because whoever put the mag-locks in didn't know and the AHJ knowingly or unknowingly ok'd it? Is it typical to ask for a variance for this?

The issue has arisen because the 2010 NY State Building Code is based on the 2006 IBC and therefore does not include I-2. What's the best way to handle this for a new hospital projects in NY where mag-locks are specified?

1. poeple insatall stuff and ask permission later, or do not get caught.

2. Yes they locking of doors should follow current adopted code.

3. yes there is sometimes a conflict between IBC and 101, what I have seen is everyone who is an ahj for the project sets down and comes to a compromise.

basicaly the more stringent is suppose to apply.

guess that gives you a black and white answer

Modify to use the newer code would be the proper way here...or an accomodating BO could use Chapter 1 104.11 maybe Alternative materials and methods to accept something allowable under a newer code and still cover his/her behind.....

cda said:
1. poeple insatall stuff and ask permission later, or do not get caught.2. Yes they locking of doors should follow current adopted code.

3. yes there is sometimes a conflict between IBC and 101, what I have seen is everyone who is an ahj for the project sets down and comes to a compromise.

basicaly the more stringent is suppose to apply.

guess that gives you a black and white answer
Is that a qualified yes with an emphasis on no?

I know of one heart hospital that installed the maglocks on the outside of the in swinging doors in their hallways. It's the only way their AHJ would approve them.