• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Magnetic door holder

We only require release upon certain milestones of the fire alarm system. What is the reasoning behind the requirement in NFPA 101? encase of a device malfunction?

NFPA advocates for automatic-closing fire doors to be closed when the building is not occupied, in case something goes wrong. I think that's the purpose of the requirement for closing the doors manually instead of only upon fire alarm.

OK, so in Canada, CAN/ULC-S524, the standard on fire alarms, requires some detectors located adjacent to these doors. The annunciator must release these doors when the smoke detectors are tripped (among other things). Is this not a requirement of NFPA 72? It just doesn't make sense to me why the doors would need to closed manually if the fire alarm system is going to do it anyway. Am I missing something?

OK, so in Canada, CAN/ULC-S524, the standard on fire alarms, requires some detectors located adjacent to these doors. The annunciator must release these doors when the smoke detectors are tripped (among other things). Is this not a requirement of NFPA 72? It just doesn't make sense to me why the doors would need to closed manually if the fire alarm system is going to do it anyway. Am I missing something?

Yes NFPA 72 requires detectors

I could see the manual requirement maybe used more in a hospital or nursing home setting.

Where 101 is used and a practice to have doors open, with a requirement for staff to close them.

Plus, it does take smoke in the area for automatic operation, so kind of same if in other than medical setting people might make it a practice to manually close the doors.

Or, as an inspector just walking through on an inspection, I want to see the doors close properly and latch.
So I pull on the door to release it.
If to much magnet power, you can almost pull the holder off the wall, leaving a nice hole

I'm not sure what the question is here...the original question was about magnetic hold-opens but now it seems like the topic has moved to electromagnetic locks.

I think they might be a spammer...all their posts are kind of weird.

Reactions: cda