• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Male and Female Restrooms

StephNow

Pennsylvania, 2009 IPC

In a B occupancy that requires one restroom for males and one for females; do the restrooms have to be near or next to each other?

I thought there was a requirement, but I cannot find it.

Thanks in advance! :)

see section 2902.2, 2902.3 and 2902.4.1 IBC.

I don't think you can put the woman's toilet room on the back porch anymore?

pc1

They always were, if possible, for mechanical and plumbing layout efficiency. But, probably not req’rd. otherwise.

I’ve been reviewing the giddy sections of the code today, and I’m just pickin these off one after the other. They probably should be near each other, if you every want to have baby restrooms. It’s still after noon, and I already need another drink.

no requirement... it just makes the plumbing a little less difficult to layout.

No requirement on proximity as long as you make the travel distance....only something in accessibility that says something about being "on the normal circulation route" or something like that....

At airports, I often see them placed well away from each other, perhaps just to avoid the confusion of accidentally walking into the wrong room; or perhaps because the restrooms are so big that they need to placed in a linear fashion in on the non-gate side, and there's just a lot of space between entrances.

No requirement

Often the "mens" is in the shop and the "womens" is in the office but get used as unisex after CO