• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Man Door integral to Warehouse Overhead Door Serving as Exit

DTBarch

SAWHORSE
Often see the subject condition in existing warehouse buildings in Arizona. Have heard that some plan reviewers and inspectors in other areas have issues with this. Other than the challenges that must be overcome relative to the 1/2" threshold limit, I'm interested in your feedback on any other factors that may restrict such a solution.

You also have to consider the age of the existing buildings. We didn't always have threshold and hardware requirements rooted in accessibility, that's a relatively new concept. As a practical matter consider who will need to use that door for egress. Warehouse employees tend to be ambulatory with adequate physical ability to overcome hardware and threshold issues. In the unlikely event there is a non-ambulatory employee using a wheelchair, his coworkers will probably get him past the threshold.

There's Code and then there's reality.

You are talking about this? will not work as accessible exit. But I just went through one yesterday, that was installed in the sixties and is still working fine.

WicketDoorfromoutside.jpg

Notice no level landing.....

You may be able to use it in an existing building, as accessible means of egress are terribly unrequired....I would argue that when adding a new door, it should meet new code....

Thank you for a great photo, timing couldn't be better, just surveyed one of these yesterday. Threshold, knob & closer pressure were all noted as access concerns.

Atwater Village (smiling), probably built about 1960. All RR fixtures at 18" o.c., Lavs with lucite knobs & rooms only 5 x 6 with 24" doors.

City of Gardena... 1960's unreinforced industrial bldg.... Existing toilet "compartment/space/closet" with sink, 30" wide...