• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Maneuvering clearance at an exit door?

Bill Seegmuller

I am looking at a drawing of a proposed office space. The entry door opens into a foyer, and from there you would make an immediate right turn through a door into an office space. The problem is that the entry door opens into the maneuvering clearance for the second door. I know it's not good design; I just need to know if it is legal. Code sections are appreciated!

Is there enough space in the foyer to move the wheelchair out of the door swing to let the first door close, then open the second door?

ICC/ANSI A117.1 - 2006 section 404.2.5 Two doors in Series:
Distance between two hinged or pivoted doors in series shall be 48" minimum plus the width of any door swinging into the space. The space between the doors shall provide a turning space complying with section 304.

ICC/ANSI A117.1 - 2006 section 404.2.5 Two doors in Series:
Distance between two hinged or pivoted doors in series shall be 48" minimum plus the width of any door swinging into the space. The space between the doors shall provide a turning space complying with section 304.
Thank you, this is what I needed!

The A117.1 commentary explains that doors on adjacent walls must also meet the requirement (although the code section and figure do not address this condition). The commentary suggests a 30"x48" clear floor area outside the swing of the first door should be provided (from travel in both directions). The intent is to avoid a situation where someone in a wheel chair would need to hold open the first door to be able to maneuver to opening the second.

In general, however, doors may swing into another door's maneuvering clearance.

If you have to make a 90 degree turn then the doors are not in series. I second what Paul said. If there is enough space (i.e. 30X48 beyond the swing of the first door) to move out of the way to let the first door close, and then approach the 2nd door, I would consider that code compliant if I was reviewing the plans.