• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

maneuvering clearances at recessed door with automatic opener

omahawildcat

Regarding ICC A117.1-2009

I have a restroom with an adult changing station that when closed, is 9" deep and it has to be mounted within the 18" maneuvering clearance of an inswing door. Wouldn't the use of an automatic door opener (low energy operator) create an exception for the 8" max. recessed 18" pull side clearance?
Basically, the inspector is saying, yes you wouldn't need the 18" clearance on the pull side of the door with the operator but because you have an object sticking out more than 8" within 18" of the door you have to have the clearance. Seems counterintuitive.
He is allowing me to bump in the wall with door so it basically makes a recess for the changing station so it reduces the "recess" distance of the door.

If I understand correctly.....Yes if it has standby power....By the exception, but this is 2017 ANSI

404.3.4 Maneuvering Clearances

Maneuvering clearances at power-assisted doors and gates shall comply with Section 404.2.3. Maneuvering clearances complying with Section 404.2.3 shall be provided on the egress side of low-energy automatic and full power automatic doors and gates that serve as part of an accessible means of egress.
Exceptions:
  1. Low-energy automatic and full power automatic doors and gates that have standby power or battery back-up shall not be required to comply with this section.

If I understand correctly.....Yes if it has standby power....By the exception, but this is 2017 ANSI

404.3.4 Maneuvering Clearances

Maneuvering clearances at power-assisted doors and gates shall comply with Section 404.2.3. Maneuvering clearances complying with Section 404.2.3 shall be provided on the egress side of low-energy automatic and full power automatic doors and gates that serve as part of an accessible means of egress.
Exceptions:
  1. Low-energy automatic and full power automatic doors and gates that have standby power or battery back-up shall not be required to comply with this section.
Yeah, we use 2009 and 2009 is horribly unclear about automatic doors, only stating that power assisted doors must meet 404.2.3