• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Manual Fire Pull Clearance

PBWolf

Been searching through Oregon's adapted Fire Code & Building Code, but cannot find the clear space required in front of a manual fire pull... I would assume the same as an electrical panel (36") but I cannot find a definitive answer anywhere.

Thoughts?

since it has to meet ada, ada clearance/ access??

5.12.5* Manual fire alarm boxes shall be located throughout the protected area so that they are conspicuous, unobstructed, and accessible.

Yes, that is what my guess was since the clearance wasn't specifically called out anywhere. Thanks for the input.

The term "accessible" as used in NFPA 72 has nothing to do with disabled accessibility. It simply means don't hide it behind a column, stack boxes in front of it or otherwise obstruct the ability to get to and use the pull station. Nonetheless, I'd go with the 3 ft clearance.