• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Manual Operation of Smoke Vents

Glennman CBO

Silver Member
2009 IBC 410.3.7.1 and section 910 states that both automatic and manual methods of operation are required for smoke vents.

What kinds of manual operations have you all seen in the field, and how is it typically set up? I've never seen this kind of an operation and I'm asking on behalf of an adjacent jurisdiction.

Any comments are appreciated!

most have a pull handle that hangs down into the building.

not much use, especially 30 feet up.

Have seen a very long time ago, one ahj require a cable to be run in conduit to the side of the building. That way no one had to get on the roof, and all they had to do was put a ladder up to the d rings and pull them.. Not to sure of that set up, and code to back it up.

Maybe get with the fire department to see if they want any extra, besides the release hanging down into the building

Thanks,

Now that you guys mention a pull handle, it seems that I have seen something of the sort. I'll check out the various links that North Star posted as well.