• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Masonry fireplace and chimney

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I posed a question about what appears to be a non-compliant fireplace on another section but didn't get a reply so I'll try it here. Who does a builder turn to when he builds a non-compliant chimney? I am no expert on them but I can read the code and it looks pretty bad. I am wondering who he will turn to and who I can accept a third party report from. These are pretty significant installations in a pretty significant structure. Completely masonry with gas lines run to them for either gas logs or gas ignition.

Sifu said:
I posed a question about what appears to be a non-compliant fireplace on another section but didn't get a reply so I'll try it here. Who does a builder turn to when he builds a non-compliant chimney? I am no expert on them but I can read the code and it looks pretty bad. I am wondering who he will turn to and who I can accept a third party report from. These are pretty significant installations in a pretty significant structure. Completely masonry with gas lines run to them for either gas logs or gas ignition.
I would suggest an RDP for the job, if a non-prescriptive solution is being pursued. You may also request structural and mechanical analysis to substantiate the findings in their report.

This builder's brother is an RDP, he drew and sealed the plans for the job but they are not of much value. The only detail on the plan is floor joist span, girder size and pier location (but only if you scale it). Basically he sealed some pictures and elevations. I have asked for more and I am sure he will seal the fireplace design if needed. I just wasn't sure if he could or if I could accept it.

I agree but in my situation I don't have the backing or quite honestly the stones to open that can. Justice, karma, etc. would dictate that sooner or later it will come to that on its own. I would rather it be sooner and before any damage. I am going to ask him to read the code just like I did and come up with his engineering judgement.

Sifu said:
I am going to ask him to read the code just like I did and come up with his written, signed, sealed and delivered engineering judgement.
nice sentence, but I added just a dash of document spice.

+ + + +

If the brother signed & sealed the drawings, the liability [ technically ]

is on him, for whatever that is worth.......Because you do not have

the support that is needed to pursue this, what does your BO say?

Your BO does not have to accept the designed plans [ RE: Section

104.11, `06 IBC ], and can request that a compliant design and

"fix" be submitted from an independent 3rd party, "non-brother-

inlaw", non-family related source.

+ + + +

Papio-amendment appreciated and accepted. North Star, the "drawings" don't even include the fireplace or chimney...or much else. I have told the builder he will need to have an engineer sign off on the structural elements of the house, that too much has been done outside the prescriptive elements of the code, and BTW too many things not inspected and covered up for me to even consider signing off on it. What I don't know is; what about the non-structural things, like the fireplace. If they start a fire and the draft won't pull I don't want it coming back on my head but even worse if they start a fire and the house fills with smoke and someone becomes a casualty as a result I don't want that on my heart. If an engineer signs it it probably takes it off my head but if I question his ability to have signed off on it it won't take it off my heart (and maybe my head too). Thats why I will ask them to read the code with me, understand where I don't think it complies and come up with a thoughtful and reasoned judgement. If it still doesn't pass the smell test I can look at the 3rd part option. Also, my BO wouldn't think of not accepting the designed plans. He doesn't understand what a design is or means. I do my work outside of his influence whenever possible since his default and consistent position is to let anyone do what they want, regardless of code or law. (I'm not even sure is considered the BO)

you could also make the case, ie document what was done outside prescriptive code, built and not inspected, etc, then say hey, you've done all this without going thru the proper processes, it wasn't submitted for review, not in the drawuings, not permitted legally, it can't be approved, it won't be approved, you have no choice but to take ity down and start over.