• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Master Planning

Vlab20

Bronze Member
I am looking for some basic information in the form of checklists, questionaires, forms to help with analysis of an existing building, site, internal departments, MEP's and wants/needs of the future building, departments, site, MEPs.

We are starting a Master Plan for a medical project. We have Master Planned before but it is by the seat of our pants based on experience but I am looking for a detailled methodology that would assist in the Master Planning process. Something that would virtually guarantee that something won't be forgotten.

Oops... All of my subsequent suggestions were to be based on informing the designer that it was his/her obligation... Guess that doesn't help here.

This a hospital??? Hate guessing on projects. Reason I ask here in AZ they have a review process that may or maynot change building plans.

Vlab 20,

If we haven't already, "Welcome" to the Codes Forum! :)

Table 3410.7 in the `06 IBC is one tool that may assist you in analyzing an

existing facility.

In my experience, there is always something that is forgotten, regardless

of the lists, forms, or experience.

You might try compiling your "seat of your pants based on experience"

information, create your own spreadsheet / database and then seek

assistance from outside your office.

FWIW, ' soul plate ' has provided links to some good in-depth

information, from a federal government point.

Last edited by a moderator:
brudgers said:
Hire an architect.
The right questions hasn't been asked. Is he an architect or a designer. Some architects might answer yes to being the designer. So lets ask the right questions:

Vlab20: Are you a registered Architect or an unlicensed Building Designer?

Second question: Please Describe your project a little such as:

Building type (what is the building, a school, an office, a house, a theater, ect.)

How big is it?

What state is the building located or proposed to be located?