• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Maximum backflow preventer mounting height?

asarkisov

I'm currently designing a domestic water service entry in a building where the designated area by the architect for the backflow preventer will see a lot of traffic (police facility vehicle service bay.) I'll be specifying a horizontally mounted RPZ and considered the possibility of installing the backflow preventer higher than usual (~7') to clear up the traffic space. Is there anywhere in the IPC that dictates the maximum allowable backflow preventer mounting height? If 7' won't work, I'll just resort to asking the architect for a Janitor's closet somewhere.

@ ~ @ ~ @

asarkisov, ...there is nothing in the I Codes that specifies a certain mounting height.

That said, I "implore" you on behalf of all of the Backflow installers and all future
Testers, ...to provide them easy access for testing, maintenance, repair or replacement.

I have seen architects \ engineers specify that a BFP was installed at high ceiling heights

without any consideration of the people who actually test and work on them.......What
the heck, they would not be the ones to work on them !......They did not care where the
darned things were installed !........All for the maximum use of floor space.

Please specify that any BFP's be installed down lower and have plenty of working room
around them.

@ ~ @ ~ @

@ ~ @ ~ @

asarkisov, ...there is nothing in the I Codes that specifies a certain mounting height.

That said, I "implore" you on behalf of all of the Backflow installers and all future
Testers, ...to provide them easy access for testing, maintenance, repair or replacement.

I have seen architects \ engineers specify that a BFP was installed at high ceiling heights

without any consideration of the people who actually test and work on them.......What
the heck, they would not be the ones to work on them !......They did not care where the
darned things were installed !........All for the maximum use of floor space.

Please specify that any BFP's be installed down lower and have plenty of working room
around them.

@ ~ @ ~ @
north star, thank you very much for your reply as you've offered an avenue of design thought that has otherwise not been made apparent to me. I'll take your suggestion into strong consideration as I thought perhaps working with a ladder would still enable an individual to work on a backflow preventer mounted higher than usually, but that does not appear to be the case.

I'll communicate this to the architect I'm working with and see how they would like to proceed. In the interest of having some more substance to argue against mounting a backflow preventer at 7' off the ground, would somewhere in the region of 6' be closer to a workable height if I'm unable to change the location of the backflow preventer? The concern for the architect is that because this facility will be used to provide emergency services and this backflow preventer is located in a high traffic area, they fear that it may slow down/impede foot traffic passing through this space if it's mounted too close to walking height.

north star, thank In the interest of having some more substance to argue against mounting a backflow preventer at 7' off the ground, would somewhere in the region of 6' be closer to a workable height if I'm unable to change the location of the backflow preventer?
Not really, ergonomically you want somewhere between waist high and chest high so you don't have to bend or kneel, or at a height that is easy to work with while kneeling so you can place your tools on the floor within reach. Either way has advantages and disadvantages, but anything higher than chest height you have to use much weaker muscles to do the work.

Try holding your hands out above your shoulder level while holding or operating any hand tool, it becomes no fun real quick.

& ~ & ~ &

asarkisov, ...can the BFP be located further downstream on the main
potable water line coming in to the facility, before any branch water
lines are installed and NOT as an obstruction to regular personnel
or vehicle traffic ?......Again, ...my recommendation is to have
the BFP installed in a lower elevation, with easy access and
ample working room.

IMO, as far as how the architect wants to proceed, I would strongly
require, NOT suggest, ...that the device be installed in a more suitable,
"BFP tester & maintenance personnel" friendly location.........C`mon,
help the trades folks out ! ;)

& ~ & ~ &

it shoud be located in a mechanical room or other such space about waste high not in a traffic lane. be nice to the trades they have enothght to work against besides waht looks good on paper

As Keystone said, check with the water authority. I just received comments back from a water authority about a proposed installation and they want the BFP 3 ft maximum above the floor. This is a 4" device, with gear operators.