• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Maximum Stair Tread Thickness

kiwijbob

After much searching I am unable to find a code stipulated maximum dimension for the tread thickness, I find it strange as especially with Part 9 open risers if the tread was too think you could get a boot stuck in there!
1712247211794.png

After much searching I am unable to find a code stipulated maximum dimension for the tread thickness, I find it strange as especially with Part 9 open risers if the tread was too think you could get a boot stuck in there!
Does the code you’re working under have anything to say about maximum nosing projection and treatment of the bottom edge of the nosing? For example, IBC 1011.5.5.1 states a maximum 1.25” nosing projection and A117.1 504.5 states the underside of the projection must be curved or beveled. Limiting the depth and providing a bevel or curve would help prevent a boot from getting stuck.

I am unable to find a code stipulated maximum dimension for the tread thickness
7" CBC --- 7.25" CRC
In words, there isn't a maximum dimension for a tread thickness other than what's found in your imagination.

Screen Shot 2024-04-04 at 12.11.11 PM.png

In our situation we're looking at a 2" tread thickness, just had me wondering what if we went with a 6" thickness with 1" spare below to meet your "nose-to-nose run". No, not smart at all.

I think that it is more about legs.
Not to go too far down the rabbit hole but the 4" rule I understand is primarily to prevent small kids getting the head stuck, I have three boys.... I've seen it all!!

I think you could have a 3-inch natural slab as longa as you meet the nosing projection. With that said would your foot get hung up on the underside of the tread as you navigate the stairs? Spiral stairways come to mine. A slab could be router to accommodate a nosing projection IMO.

Might also check with SMA (Stairway Manufactures Assoc.) to see if they have any illustrations.