• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

maximum step down fronm a stair bulkhead on a roof

tmc5005,

The information in the pic. indicates a door sill.....Is this a stairway or something else?

Also, the floor surface; at the lower side of the door sill, appears to be more than

what is permitted in (2006 IBC) Section 1003.5, Exception # 1 = 7 inches. Please

clarify! Thanks!

It might do if the door is limited to use by maintenance employees. OSHA would apply in this case. A landing will be required if it's for public access to the roof.

What is the purpose of the door?

If simple maintenance, I do not see an issue. That stated OSHA has to find a reason for existence.

That stated, the rise for a ships ladder or alternating tread device, do not these exceed 8" rise?

The 8" is likely driven by NRCA or MFR requirements on the roofing materials to ensure that moisture is properly kept out of the building.

If this roof were to become a patio, other materials would be added atop the surface making the step less an issue.

i'm throwing in .02 cents. it does not look compliant to me. it exceeds 7 inches. what is it' s purpose ? why is the dor opening on to what appears to be a roof surface. for all we know it could be an intermediary deck. does the door swing in or out over the step? is there a way to create two steps under the doorway (yes, there has to be), evenly dividing the space to provide 2 uniform steps. even if its just for maintenance, it won't fly under osha rules as they are fairly consistent with building code rules ( thats where they get their info from) to be repeatedly redundant, more info is needed.