• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

MCP

I don't have the MCP but I do have about 13 or 14 others (state required and ICC). Used to have them all framed on my wall until someone referred to it as a "me wall." Don't hang 'em up anymore.

= = = >

briankillebrew,

Welcome to The Building Codes Forum! :cool:

The OP:

"Can anyone gauge the value of the MCP?.......In my state I don't believe it has any value as long as you have allof the required certifications for your job..........Is it marketing for a career or do some states or jurisdictions require it?"
I do not know if any particular jurisdiction "requires" it, but I DO believethat it is a valuable asset to the individual........How to gauge that in

financial terms, ...not sure anyone can put an actual price tag on that...IMO,

it is worth a lot to the indivuals who obtain it in: [1] demonstrated

perseverance, [2] some type of familiarity / knowledge of the codes, even

if only temporarily, [3] if nothing else, the ability to take tests and pass

them, [4] the willingness to actually obtain it - - there are a lot of lazy

people in this world who want a title, money, & the perks without putting

forth the effort to obtain any of the education, testing, continuing

education, the "work", etc., [5] legitimate pride in achieving something

worthwhile, ...a sense of accomplishment - - I remember being very proud

when I graduated from Boot Camp. This was / is a big deal to me!.

There are more I am sure.

Financially speaking, ...I would say that it depends a lot on the individual.

As others have stated, if you can't read, interpret and then communicate

that information to common folk, an " MCP " designation probably won't

be worth much [ $$$ ]........If you can, then you can be a very valuable

asset to any organization.

I heard a radio broacaster put it like this once: The world is already too

full of bad " _________" [ you fill in the career choice ], ...there's no

room for any more, however, ...there will always be enough room for

another good " ________ " [ you fill in the career choice ].

FWIW, ...I too am working towards the " MCP " !........Not sure about the

CEAP designation though!.......Also, I do not have any of my certs. on the

office wall.

< = = =

There's a good article in IAEI online magazine. Not quite the same but it's on certification vs licensing. Obtaining certifications do show that you are good at taking tests. Hopefully you know where to find answers in the code...however I think that there is nothing like good old experience along with the certification. You need both to become efficient at what you do.

IAEI Magazine

A building is a design of various systems and components. The better we understand them and how they relate to each other, the better we can perform our job, advise others, avoid costly mistakes, save lives, and work with various contractors and governmental agencies... without blowing up at each other! Taking an ICC exam is one way of measuring our knowledge, understanding and experience. I have always felt some sense of accomplishment after passing an ICC exam which also resulted in a deeper appreciation for the wide variety of professionals that specialize in building designs and construction. We all know that it is very hard to be a master of each discpline, but many departments have to do more with less these days; therefore, it is good to have an individual with a broad knowledge of the disciplines.

Builder Bob said:
My father had a Doctorate in Education. He told me on a regular basis - The title or level of education aren’t worth a cuss if you can't break it down to somebody's level."The most educated people aren't necessarily the best communicators. The least educated people aren't necessarily the worst communicators.

Stop and think about that -

FWIW, I have the MCP and it hasn't gotten be a job yet ---- The ability to communicate and talk while in job interviews did. ;)
As Builder Bob said in 2009: "The title or level of education aren’t worth a cuss if you can't break it down to somebody's level." No one in this years long thread has parsed that acronym.

Please

Bill