• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

means of egress for a yard for R-3

tomsaffell

Does the yard associated with an R-3 occupancy require a means of egress?

It looks to me like it does not: CBC 1004.8

But my San Francisco plan checker tells me that the exception for R-3 occupancies in in section 1004.8, "...only allows a reduction of the occupant load of the rear yard, it does not eliminate the rear yard from having an exit requirement"

Does that sound right? If so, where is the requirement for a mean of egress stated?

BTW - I checked the San Francisco amendments, and there are none for 1004.8

thanks

tom

Typically, The Means of Egress requirements found in building codes only apply to buildings and structures. And typically, a yard is neither. However, if the yard is part of an exit discharge, it would be required to comply with that portion of the code. In addition, California may have it's very own rules.